Meraki MX68W BSSID

KaylaEikenberry
Here to help

Meraki MX68W BSSID

We have wireless enabled on some of our MX68Ws and I am attempting to obtain the BSSID information for these SSIDs.  I understand it's easily obtainable from a MR standpoint by clicking into the AP itself and also the BSSID calculator, but I am having difficulties finding that information that pertains directly to the MX devices.  Has anyone had any success gaining this information?  

Thank you.  

10 Replies 10
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have never seen anything other than the info on the wireless config page. Best to use a system with a WLAN-Scanner on site.

Thank you.  I was afraid of that.  I am running packet captures to try to obtain this information.  I'm gathering this info for a voice project we're doing, and I don't have the ability to set up a wireless scanner for each site in the time I need this information.  

I'm hoping to find a pattern to be able to "calculate" them without having to do individual captures at each site.  

If you have any MR nearby , you could get the BSSID from AirMarshal but I doubt that you have both in the same environnement / in proximity ) 

Voice? Only use the integrated Wireless if you don't need another AP. There is no fast roaming between the integrated WLAN and "real" APs.

I inherited our network, as I know most do.  We have 50 retail locations, in which half of them are operating their wireless solely on the MX device.  (Cringe, I know).  We are also migrating off CUCM to WebEx, and I am working on obtaining information for RedSky.  I have to give them what we currently have, so that's why.  

I have been working on the other half which is an unmanaged nightmare, in replacing that ick with MRs and MS devices, and will be working on getting these other sites with MRs and disabling the wireless on the MXs.  

It's fun. 

Have you tried the local status page?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Use the spectrum analyzer.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Calculating_Cisco_Meraki_BSSID_M...

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

My MX68CW starts with 0C:8D:DB and matches the MR behavior listed in this doc with MX SSIDs 1-4 aligning to what the doc shows for MR SSIDs 2-5.

My MX68CW

Base MAC              0C:8D:DB

SSID 1 2.4GHz       0A:8D:DB
SSID 1 5GHz          0A:8D:CB
SSID 2 2.4GHz       06:8D:DB
SSID 2 5GHz          06:8D:DB
SSID 3 2.4GHz       02:8D:DB
SSID 3 5GHz          02:8D:CB
SSID 4 2.4GHz       1E:8D:DB
SSID 4 5GHz          1E:8D:CB

And, the last half of each BSSID MAC matches the last half of the base MAC
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In addition to the other comments here, I highly suggest the app "Wifi Analyzer" on Android, which I've found useful in the past. It's not particularly featureful but very handy for simple things like this.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels