Meraki MX450 - LAN port template configuration limitation?

SOLVED
SClinard
Conversationalist

Meraki MX450 - LAN port template configuration limitation?

Hi All - 

I have a pair of MX450s I was beginning to configure via template. When in Addressing and VLANS, I only see the ability to configure the first 12 ports (8 GbE and 2 SFP). I need 10Gb connectivity to the inside LAN on ports 19-26 however I cannot configure them until I remove the network from the template network, at which point I see interfaces 13-26.

Is there a way around this so I can utilize the template feature or am I stuck configuring manually?

Thanks!

Shane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Templates were not designed for MXs larger than the 105. Typically the 250/450 are very large site firewalls or VPN concentrators and not "cookie cutter" site appliances that would fall into a template driven org. Whether right or wrong that's the reason why.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Templates were not designed for MXs larger than the 105. Typically the 250/450 are very large site firewalls or VPN concentrators and not "cookie cutter" site appliances that would fall into a template driven org. Whether right or wrong that's the reason why.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Also, when you say a pair is that a HA pair? If so, a template would be of no value as a HA pair is only a single network config in dashboard anyway.

Thanks for the replies rymiles, much appreciated and that certainly makes sense to me. Yes, our head-end is a pair of MX450s in a warm spare configuration. I see your point about templates not having the value as say multiple single MX units. The idea was a template for all of our VPN concentrators (a mix of 450s and 95s depending on site needs). Since we're only deploying a total of 4 pairs of these, I'm not too concerned. Again, thank you for the clarification!

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you are using these MXs as VPN Concentrators - I'm wondering why the need for all those LAN ports?

SClinard
Conversationalist

I don't need all of them on the 450s, just port 19 for 10GbE connectivity for LAN routing. 19-26 are 1/10GbE SFP+.

OK, makes sense.   Note that the recommended mode for MX Hubs in Data Centres is one-armed VPN Concentrator mode (which only uses a WAN link):   https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/VPN_Concentrator_Deployment_Guide

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels