Meraki MX VPN Concentration Hub Migrate from static route to ospf

Solved
MakaraMEAS
Getting noticed

Meraki MX VPN Concentration Hub Migrate from static route to ospf

Dear Community,

I would like to start this topic, wish to know what is the easy way to migrate from static route to ospf on Meraki MX VPN Concentration  DC and DR. Kindly advise, how long estimate downtime during migration from static default to ospf?

Regards,
Makara MEAS(Mr.)

M.MAKARA
1 Accepted Solution
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, the MX still needs a default route pointing to the neighbor L3 device. But the neighbour doesn't need any static routes pointing to the MX any more after you move to OSPF.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This can be done without any downtime, but it depend on the neighbouring device of the MX. This is the way to go:

1. Activate OSPF on the MX and on the connecting router.
  2. When the neighbour device has learned the OSPF routes you can remove the static routes.
  3. Migration completed.

You hopefully know that the MX will only advertise VPN-routes but not learn routes?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/VPN_Concentrator_Deployment_Guide

Thank you for your detail, so we will do OSPF first on MX hub and verify routing. if all okay we will delete default static route to up-link L3 device. For MX only advertise only VPN routes I got you. Appreciate you assist.

M.MAKARA
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Not sure here ... You can not delete the route on the MX. After moving to OSPF you only can delete the static routes pointing *to* the MX.

So you mean when we move to OSPF on MX, static route will be remove automatic from MX to OSPF?

M.MAKARA
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, the MX still needs a default route pointing to the neighbor L3 device. But the neighbour doesn't need any static routes pointing to the MX any more after you move to OSPF.

I got you, thank you so much.

M.MAKARA
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using single LAN or VLANs? Because you are able to use OSPF just with a single LAN.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Using_OSPF_to_Advertise_Remote_VPN_Subnets

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

This is a single LAN, for VPN concentrator hub. This is note. Thank you!

M.MAKARA
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Note that OSPF on an MX in VPN concentrator mode only sends OSPF routes.  It does not learn them.

I think this might be the confusion.

This is note, now I understand well on this after few discussion. Anyway thank you a lots.

M.MAKARA
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels