Meraki MX 100 - Change to WAN 1 IP info / Client VPN unable to

Solved
VincentM
Here to help

Meraki MX 100 - Change to WAN 1 IP info / Client VPN unable to

We are upgrading our internet circuit and router; the ISP provided new IP information; WAN 1 IP information was edited with new IP info; and Virtual IP info was updated with new IP since we have a warm spare configuration.

Internet access was available, however, client VPN did not complete any connections.  I was forced to revert back to the old circuit.  Any ideas as to why VPN clients were unable to connect to the MX?

1 Accepted Solution

It turns out that the new router was not configured properly.  I should have know better than to think that the Meraki was to blame.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are the client VPNs set to go to a name, or IP address, either way, you might need to change the connection setup?

They are set to got to a name.  What type of change to the connection setup do you think is required?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

the name will be set on your dns, something like vpn.company.com.  If you look at your DNS records for the domain company.com, you will find a host record (A record) called vpn and this will be set to the old virtual IP address, change it to the new vIP and you should be good to go.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Client VPN only works on one WAN interface at a time.  It uses whatever is configured as the "Primary Uplink" under "Security & SD-WAN/SD-WAN & Traffic Shapping".

PhilipDAth_0-1593032261083.png

Yes, which is why I've configured all of our clients to connect to the host name as opposed to the IP address so when there is a fail-over to WAN 2 or we update our circuit IP info, they will (in theory) still be able to connect. Unfortunately for me, this wasn't the case.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to switch the DNS record to point to the new IP when you change the primary uplink

I searched my DNS records and there is no entry for the Meraki VPN - the only entry for this device is the name of the firewall with the LAN Gateway address.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the VPN config has a host name in it then there must be an associated public DNS record for it.  To find where the public DNS is go to mxtoolbox.com and lookup the domain (company.com), the default will return the MX records, but from the dropdown you can select DNS check and it will tell you where the DNS is hosted.  You will then need to log in to that provider's platform and manage the records for your domain.

Thanks again for looking into this.  I spoke to Meraki today and the DNS server that the MX uses is an AWS leased by Cisco in San Fransisco.  They gave me a procedure to follow to update the WAN 1 info allow an update to the DNS.  I will be testing this over the weekend or on Monday evening and I will report back.

I’ve confirmed that the DNS record updates with the new circuit virtual IP.  It appears now that the issue is with the new router; UDP ports 500 & 4500 may not be open to allow any 3rd party VPN tunnels and client VPN tunnels. Waiting on the ISP to confirm.

It turns out that the new router was not configured properly.  I should have know better than to think that the Meraki was to blame.

I also want to point out that authentication for clients is done through the Meraki Cloud, not AD.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels