Meraki DHCP pxe boot options

J_Donegan
Just browsing

Meraki DHCP pxe boot options

Our clients connect to the data vlan three times. We need to use this network to image Windows laptops.

These devices need to contact the production vlan, which is where the SCCM server sits on a different vlan.

These are the DHCP options I have chosen, but when my devices that need to be imaged connect to the data network, they are unable to contact the SCCM server via pxe boot to pull down the image.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

J_Donegan_0-1720509950619.jpeg

8 Replies 8
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Did you check that the boot server is reachable from the LAN in question?   (incl. appropriate FW rules etc ?)

Have you run any packet captures on the MX or switches to see what's going on?

I can ping the SCCM server on the production network when I'm on the data network. I can also RDP to the SCCM server.

Hi @J_Donegan ,

As @GreenMan has mentioned. Packet captures are the way to go to confirm issues or unexpected behavior. Do you know if the SCCM is using Multicast instead of Unicast traffic to communicate. This could explain the behvaior. If so, see below guide to ensure the set up is correct.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Multicast_Routing_Overview

Cheers,

Ivan Jukić,
Meraki APJC

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If it solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Yes when the user device is on the same vlan it’s works with no issues. 
Packet capture is my next test. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not familiar with SCCM, but this is what we are using for PXE booting and imaging.

PhilipDAth_0-1720526129911.png

What you could do is use a tftp client, and try and retrieve the file from the server you have specified and see if it can download the file.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does this work on any other VLAN?  It is a bit suspicious to see a *.com file in the days of UEFI BIOSs.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take some captures to work out where the communication is failing.

One thing specific to SCCM PXE boot that might apply is the following:

• Don't use DHCP options 60, 66, or 67. It isn't supported.

Advanced troubleshooting for PXE boot issues - Configuration Manager | Microsoft Learn

Good to know 😊

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels