Meraki Client VPN

Aamir
Here to help

Meraki Client VPN

Hi,

For client VPN, my customer would like his suppliers to connect to his network, get locally authenticated and get access to a specific VLAN based only? How to do that in Meraki. 

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can use Active directory based authentication and use group policy to restrict the access.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Client_VPN/Client_VPN_Overview

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

these are external suppliers that wont be part of AD. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Then use the Meraki based authentication.  

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Managing_User_Account...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

then i can apply group policy on these Meraki Cloud Accounts?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yep

Unfortunately this won't work - if you're trying to manually apply policies to the clients in question, it only lasts until they disconnect.

I would recommend that OP use AnyConnect instead, and deploy it with a profile that restricts what these contractors have access to by only telling it to route traffic destined to the VLAN in question over the tunnel, and nothing else.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Group Policies

It is possible to manually apply group policies to clients connected via client VPN. A group policy applied to a client VPN user is associated with the username and not the device. Different devices that connect to client VPN with the same username will receive the same group policy. For more help on assigning or removing group policies applied to a client, refer to the Creating and Applying Group Policies document.

It is not possible to assign group policies automatically once a user connects to client VPN.

Hi,

For L2TP I had a chat with Meraki SE and he mentioned the group policy will be tied to the VPN client virtual MAC address and not the username and virtual MAC address can change and if it changes then group policy wont get applied?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels