Meraki Client VPN registering local IP in DNS

E-Rov
Here to help

Meraki Client VPN registering local IP in DNS

Hello,

I am doing some investigating into an issue with DNS registration.  We recently moved our entire workforce to work from home, connecting using the Meraki client VPN with custom nameservers of our internal Windows DNS servers. When machines were originally brought home, I noticed that they were not registered in DNS. 

We then tested a script that would check the "Register this connections addresses in DNS" and "Use this connections DNS suffix in DNS registration" for the members of the IT support team.  I did notice that only two of the machines out of the 7 that were set with that setting registered the correct VPN IP in DNS.

A week or so passed as I had to move on to more pressing issues, and I went back to look at it today, now I see almost 600 of these machines registered in DNS, but with their home LAN IP.  This script to select those options has not been run for anyone other than that initial group of 7.

Is there is a way to register only the correct Meraki VPN IP address in DNS?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

2 Replies 2
mer_tech01
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi Eric.

You need to go into the VPN adapter settings on the machine connecting to the VPN. Pull up the Advanced TCP/IP Settings -> DNS Tab and select "Register this connections addresses in DNS"

-mer_tech01

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
MrMeraki
Here to help

I have this exact issue and it's driving me mad as we're trying to push software remotely and updates etc and most fail due to incorrect hostname or network error etc presumably because it cannnot decipher which IP is correct...

Did you ever get to the bottom of it? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels