Meraki Client VPN - Registering A & PTR records for clients

JakeGilla
New here

Meraki Client VPN - Registering A & PTR records for clients

Hello All,

While I know we can't use a DHCP relay with the client VPN, I was curious if anyone knows how to get the client VPN's DHCP server to properly register A and PTR records in a domain DNS server?  Our VPN configuration does appear to be pushing the correct domain DNS servers, and the appropriate DNS suffix, despite that, records are never registered in the DNS server.

Anyone have this working that could offer some advice?

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Client VPN uses a simple pool rather than a DHCP server.  You configure the settings pushed to the client under:

Security & SD-WAN/Client VPN

It is the client that registers itself in DNS.  But it needs the correct DNS servers to know who to register with.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This may be completely unrelated, but on our LANs we use Cisco switches to issue DHCP and despite all the correct records, we regularly see both A and PTR records haven't been correctly registered.

Our research led us to find that this is a common issue with no comprehensive solution we could find so our main applications rely on certificates now instead of hostname where possible.

Obviously this has other benefits but isn't always possible so I'm following this thread inc there is a solution that might help us! 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels