[Meraki API] Get Device Lldp Cdp endpoint does not return data

Yuriy
Here to help

[Meraki API] Get Device Lldp Cdp endpoint does not return data

Hi all,

We've caught interesting issue related to Meraki API Get Device Lldp Cdp endpoint. It happens that from time to time random device stops reporting CDP/LLDP info (mentioned endpoint simply returns HTTP 200 with empty object {} instead of actual data). Usually, it least 5-15 minutes and then endpoint starts returning data.

Our tool sends around 5 request for different devices simultaneously so maybe it can brake some internal API logic. 

Please advice.

Thanks,
Yuriy

8 REPLIES 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What type of device are you trying to get this information?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I performed a test and It works fine:

alemabrahao_0-1648572169297.png

alemabrahao_1-1648572187653.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm 100% sure that I have encountered this issue in the past. 

Is it CDP or LLDP or both that you are missing from time to time ? I will try to reproduce the issue 

EDIT:  Will test on MS 12.17 ( yes I know... ) and MS 14.33

Both CDP and LLDP are missing... API just returns empty object: {}

Yuriy
Here to help

I was able to catch this issue on MS, MR and MX devices.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked if CDP or LLD is enabled on the equipment at the other end?

We did not change configuration when the data is sometimes available and sometimes not.

brc6985
New here

This is definitely an issue on Meraki's end. I have been experiencing the exact same problem for the past few years, on API versions 0 and 1. Sometimes increasing the timespan seems to do the trick, other times I have to paste the URL of the API call into a browser (while I'm logged into the Meraki dashboard) and try to refresh it a few times before I'll get any data back.

Honestly Meraki's back end is a bit of a mess. They have straight up accidentally deleted our floor plans, and other configuration items, from their DB. The API is unreliable and inconsistent with returned data. Local device SNMP implementation is terrible (can't even get serial number or uptime from MRs). SNMP polling of the dashboard has timed out EVERY SINGLE ATTEMPT (sometimes after a few hundred results, sometimes after a few thousand, but still never managed to complete an SNMP walk on the dashboard). And I've seen loads of other problems with the group policies and device fingerprinting.... the list just goes on...

Anyways, sorry to get off-topic, but it's just super frustrating having to deal with their unreliable infrastructure. I have not found any workaround for this specific issue of empty CDP/LLDP data, other to try increasing the timespan and retry the call.

Good luck...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels