MX85 to netgear switch issues

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

MX85 to netgear switch issues

Ran into an issue on Friday that I'm going to research further tomorrow. Tried swapping out a Sonicwall firewall with HA setup with two MX85s. The sonicwall is setup with one physical port that splits into multiple virtual ports for each VLAN. When I installed the MX85 I set the MX up with Trunk native vlan 1 as the default setting is. When I connected to the netgear switch from what I could tell is that only vlan 1 and possibly only on first switch was working. The netgear switches are tagging all VLANs but VLAN 1 is untagged.

Should I change the netgear to untag all VLANs?

I didn't have too much time to test because I ran out of time on my outage window for the client.

Anyone ever run into MX to Netgear setup like this?

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MXs should be using a trunk port.  The NetGear switches should also be configured to use a trunk port.  They all need to use the same native VLAN.

One of the above things hasn't been done.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Jwiley78 Only one VLAN can be untagged on a port at a time. As mentioned the ports on both ends should be setup as trunk ports with VLAN 1 untagged and all other VLANs tagged. 

If you don't understand VLAN tagging and switchport types you might want to have a quick look on youtube for an explanation. 

From what I could tell is that you don't really pick a port type with the netgear config.  It's just tag or untag.  Then, what is currently working with the sonicwall in place is all VLANs are tagged except VLAN1 which is untagged.  Problem is that once I put the MX85 in place it doesn't work correctly.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Jwiley78 if you can test the MX85s offline with a Netgear switch that would be ideal, but if you don't have another switch then plug a PC into the MX85s LAN port and see if you are in VLAN1, if that works then set a VLAN tag on the PCs NIC properties for one of the other VLANs and see if you can then talk to that one.  Repeat for each VLAN.  The other thing that you might need to do is clear the ARP cache on the Netgear switch after removing the Sonicwalls and before connecting the MXs.  If you aren't sure how to do this then a reboot of the switch will definitely clear it.

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

I will be attempting this cutover again tomorrow so hopefully I can try and determine issue.  I'll update when I find out more.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels