MX85 Warm Spare config with Tertiary Uplink

Steve-Potter
Getting noticed

MX85 Warm Spare config with Tertiary Uplink

Currently I have dual diverse fibres to the building each to a router with a /29 subnet on presented on ports 1 & another /29 subnet on port2. in an Active / Active configuration.

All 4 ports connect to a layer 2 switch and from this switch is connected the primary MX85 with WAN ports 1 & 2 configured the same as the router ports in load balance mode.

The MX85 is connected to the switch stack via two LAN ports

I want to add a warm spare MX85 to this network, and would use the MX Uplink IP method. My ISP is adding a third /29 subnet on Port 3 of the routers, and documentation suggests I can configure WAN1 of the warm spare to this subnet. (Gamma share all 3 subnets across the two fibres) 

Have I understood this right and is this the correct configuration?

StevePotter_0-1671032036428.png

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That will work.  Note that the third /29 on the warm MX won't be used unless WAN1 and WAN2 fail on the primary MX.

Is there a reason you can't put WAN1 of each MX into the first /29, and WAN2 of each MX into the second /29, and not bother with a third /29?

Hi

If that is an acceptable config then that would work for me, saves paying fo the additional IP block. (which I had to put on hold anyway due to a change freeze).

Steve

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels