MX75 & 1.1.1.1

Solved
DCrab
Here to help

MX75 & 1.1.1.1

I've got the following config on my MX75 & MS125s .. these are SW1 and SW2  (VLAN1 is not used for any clients)

MX75  P4 - Trunk - to SW1 P1    allowing VLAN 1, 10, 20, 30

MX75  P5 - Trunk - to SW2 P1    allowing VLAN 1, 40, 50

If I look on the Switch status  I see..

For SW 1:    Port 1  VLAN1 connection to SW2  using IP: 1.1.1.1

Port 1 VLAN1  connection to MX75 at  IP: 192.168.128.1  (this is Vlan1 IP)

For SW 2:   Port 1 VLAN 1   connection to SW1 mac address with no IP address showing (blank)

Port 1 VLAN 50 connection 1 to MX75 at : 10.10.50.1

So a few odd things here.. 

Qt #1:  Why is one switch seeing the other switch as a connection on its uplink port (through VLAN1 the native ?) and why 1.1.1.1

Qt #2:  why would I see a blank IP address on SW2?

Qt #3:  Assuming the MX is using virtual interfaces... why do I not see connections on SW1 to the virtual interfaces on the MX (which has 10.10.10.1 & 10.10.20.1 and 10.10.30.1) . SW2 does see 10.10.50.1, but not the 10.10.40.1 .. at least not listed on connections of SW2. 

Both switches are using DCHP to get management IP from VLAN1 of the mX75 in the range of 192.168.128.x.

Just wondering if I've set up the trunks correctly.. I read that VLAN1 should always flow through trunks connected to MS switches.. 

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

On the MX what is the full port config for 4 & 5? Trunk, allowed VLANs that you mentioned, but what is the native VLAN or do you have it set to drop untagged?

Same for the switchports connecting to the MX. They are trunks with explicit allowed VLANs and a native VLAN set? 

This sounds like a native mismatch issue or allowed VLAN mismatch issue.

If you set the ports on the MS and the switches to trunk, native 1, allow all what happens?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

On the MX what is the full port config for 4 & 5? Trunk, allowed VLANs that you mentioned, but what is the native VLAN or do you have it set to drop untagged?

Same for the switchports connecting to the MX. They are trunks with explicit allowed VLANs and a native VLAN set? 

This sounds like a native mismatch issue or allowed VLAN mismatch issue.

If you set the ports on the MS and the switches to trunk, native 1, allow all what happens?

The MX Port that feeds SW1 is shown below to the left. This port carries VLANS 10, 20, 30. VLAN1 is the native for both the MX and Switches.. it was the default and I did not alter it. 

The Port 1 uplink of SW1 is shown to right and below. Every port on this switch is set to carry VLAN 10, 20 or 30.

Now if I look at Port 2 of SW1, I see it is assigned to VLAN 10, but Tags is set to None.. I assumed that if I added a port to a VLAN it would tag it.. so maybe this is wrong.. All ports on the Switches are access except the uplink which is Trunk.

MX P4 & SW1 uplinkMX P4 & SW1 uplink

Not totally following. If you want to DM your MX serial number I can take a peek at the full config of it and the switches.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DCrab the switch config has allow all VLANs, set allowed VLANs to match the MX port it is connecting to i.e. 1,10,20,30

The tags are for grouping, not VLAN tags.  For instance you can alert for port up down messages only on ports tagged 'Server' or 'AP'

DCrab
Here to help

It looks like there might be small bug in the MS 125 s/w. Sw1 should not be able to see SW2 as a direct client and not at an address 1.1.1.1. The reporting client list tends to change as I flip between the status pages. Also, I'd expect SW1 to see 3 virtual interfaces of the MX75.. one for 10.10.10.1, one for 10.10.20.1 and one for 10.10.30.1 .. and since I've allowed the native vlan, maybe one for 192.168.128.1.. 

I'm not sure if I should allow VLAN 1 on the list from the MX75.. I did it to allow management of the SWs from the native VLAN IP of the MX. 

Operation seems fine, so I hesitate to change things as we are live 7 days a week. I've submitted this as a 'case' so someone can look to see if there might be a bug in the MS125 firmware.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels