MX68 rack mount

SOLVED
tantony
Head in the Cloud

MX68 rack mount

This is the only MX68 rack mount I could find.  It looks like from the picture, the ports are facing the front, is it possible to have the ports facing back so that the status LED is facing the front?  Any other recommendations?

https://www.rackmountsolutions.net/firewall-mounting-kit-cisco-meraki-mx68-rm-ci-t6/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I see no reason why you couldn't just turn it around.

Far as I know it is just sitting there, not locked in place etc.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I see no reason why you couldn't just turn it around.

Far as I know it is just sitting there, not locked in place etc.
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring 

Thanks, it looks like that way.  I'm checking with the vendor.  Do you know of any other MX68 rack mounts?  I was going to have one of our mechanical engineers 3D print one for me before I found this.

That is the only one I've ever seen. I mean in reality, you could just buy a shelf mount and call it a day. That is usually what I do 😃
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring 

Thanks for your help

Nick
Head in the Cloud

In that rack there is an optical cable attached to the light so you will see the status on the front of it 🙂
tantony
Head in the Cloud

@Nick 

I noticed the small hole in the rack.  But, how does that connect to the status LED of MX?  I'm looking at my MX68, and I don't see a way of connecting the light.

I chatted with their sales person, and she said that light is to show the status of the powersupply, not the MX68 status light.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

Looks to me like there is an arm that goes across to assist the mount
tantony
Head in the Cloud

I chatted with their sales person, and she said that light is to show the status of the powersupply, not the MX68 status light.  So you know the MX68 is turned on.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

I guess if I'm that paranoid, I could just use a small flexible mirror to see the MX status lights 🙂

Oh that is interested, did not notice that.

Check this thread here by @PhilipDAth 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Rack-Mount-MX68/m-p/41922?advanced=false&collapse_di...

Looks like he has that cool 'light cable' pointed to the MX LED

Phil, what does the other side of that look like?

TwitterLinkedIn

Oh wait I found an image of it.

Does not look like it is meant for the power supply at all, but the LED on the MX.

That is awesome 😃

55555.JPG

TwitterLinkedIn

yeah, I guess you can see the MX status light.  Interesting.  I guess the other vendor gave me the wrong info and said that's to show the power supply status.

Wish they would do the same LED trick for the MX64/65/67 model too =(
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring 

Why don't they?  I would assume it's simple to do.

@NolanHerring 

Same here.  I guess if you're good with 3D printing, you can always 3D print one.

tantony
Head in the Cloud

@NolanHerring 

Before I found this, I was going to have one custom made by our shop metal people.

Edit. Not sure why those pictures dont show it. 

@NolanHerring  the light tube brings the led to the front of the rack, and it works really well.

Basically all of the indactor leds are on the front of the rack mount.

The mounting kit arrived, and I installed mine facing the front.  You can mount it facing the front or back.  So, I don't have a need for the light tube.  The Ethernet cables are plugged in without any issues.

meraki.png

Hi @tantony, I just registered for this forum so please accept this very, very late response :). 

My colleague must have accidentally made a mistake. The fiber optic cable that is supplied with the rack mount does indeed lead the status light to the front of your rack. We felt obliged to do so, so you will have all your connections easy accessible in front of your server, as well as the status of your appliance. 

As a side-note - There are also two rack mount kits for the small MS120-8 switches nowadays.

What are the part numbers of the two options? 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth  the MS120-8 and 8LP use the 1U RM-CI-T3 as below:

Screenshot_20200719-084330_Chrome.jpg

The manufacturer website page is at https://www.rackmount.it/products/regulars/cisrack/rm-ci-t3.html

The MS120-8FP has 1.3/2U kit, part number RM-CI-T7 and is as below:

Screenshot_20200719-084853_Chrome.jpg

All of the small MSs and MXs have rackmount kits and they are good, we have used them for a few years now.

GreenRhino
Here to help

That rackmount includes a fiber optic line so you can see the status light. Take a closer look at the bottom picture, enlarged here: https://www.rhinonetworks.com/product/accessory/rack-mount-kit-cisco-meraki-mx68

No need to turn it around 🙂  

DennisMumaw
New here

This unit actually has a light on the front that shows the status light.

the stop has a fiber? connection to the front,

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels