MX68 not arping Cisco switch

Muxie2007
Comes here often

MX68 not arping Cisco switch

This is really basic but confusing me. I have an MX68 connected to my cisco 4500 switch for testing. I trunked my ISP subnet all the way to the Cisco switch and connected the mx68 to it. On the mx side, I gave it a public IP on the wan1 port in the ISP subnet, on the switch side, it is an access port in isp vlan. Issue is, I don't see the mx68 MAC added on the switch side neityne is internet available on on the mx68. What am I doing wrong?

MX----acess--SW---trunk---Router-----Fortigate-----Internet

7 REPLIES 7
Alexxdavid
Comes here often

Can't help you there but I was wondering which firmware is your MX68 running? The minimum firmware version is 14.32 which doesn't even exist in beta.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Your best bet for this type of config is to setup the switch port going to the router as access vlan X.  Use a VLAN you don't use for other stuff.  Then setup the port going to the MX as access with that same VLAN you used above.  Then you should be good. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Muxie2007
Comes here often

I cantc because the trunk is an uplink with over 10 vlans on it

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you plug a PC into that same access port with the same IP configuration - can it access the Internet and perform name resolution?

I should try this when I am at work.

Muxie2007
Comes here often

UPDATE:

I can see the MAC address of the MX now no my Cisco switch. The issue was a stipid one. I have forgotten to add the vlan of the ISP on the Cisco switch. BUT, i still see no internet even when i directly connect a laptop. I did a ping to the gateway from the laptop

Reply from xx.xxx.xx.xx: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for gateway_IP:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),

A tracerroute

Tracing route to xx.xxx.xx.xx over a maximum of 30 hops

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 machine_name [xx.xxx.xx.xx] reports: Destination host unreachable.

I see the MAC address all the way to the router 

I resolved the issue. Very simple one and dump stupid. I had not added the access VLAN on the switch itself

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels