MX64 new ISP Configuration

DougieChef
Conversationalist

MX64 new ISP Configuration

I just switched ISPs and cannot get the MX64 to get online.  The old public ip does not get updated automatically which I assumed would happen under DHCP.  Any one point me to suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Hi

The MX64 Installation Guide sets out how to set up the device. It is usually painless.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Thanks, just tried the setup and this is really stupid, but as I follow the instructions, it asks for the SN to login and I cant get beyond at this stage.  It didnt like my login and pw for the MX.....which login should I be using?

If you haven't got as far as getting noticed by the Meraki "system", you need to start here - MX Quick Start Guide.

Once the Meraki dashboard is aware of you, life gets much simpler.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Was the MX64 working previously, just with a different ISP?  And if so, you must have already had a Dashboard account where you would access and configure your MX64?  And if not, and it's a new MX, make sure you first have a Dashboard account where you have claimed the MX and added it to a network in Dashboard.  Let us know if that much has been done or if you need assistance with that. 

Regardless, there should be no need to use the local status & config page.  As long as you plug the "Internet" interface into your ISP connection and it's able to grab addressing info via DHCP, it's typically plug and play.  Worst case, paperclip the reset button for 30 seconds to reset the MX to factory defaults and try again.  Watch the progress in Dashboard (or the local status page) to see if it starts coming online.

To see the local status/config pages, connect a laptop to any LAN port and open a browser and go to setup.meraki.com or my.meraki.com and you'll see the local status page and you'll be on the "Connection" tab by default.  That page can show you basic info and if it's attempting to connect to Dashboard.  If you click on the Configure or Ethernet tabs, you'll get prompted by the MX for login credentials.  By default put in the full serial number of the MX, including hyphens, as the username with a blank password and click login.  If that doesn't work, perhaps you either disabled local status pages or changed the default credentials, which would be under Network Wide > General when logged into Dashboard.

You can create credential to access the locally manager of MX appliance.

In your meraki dashboards, go to Network-wide --> Configure --> General.

Under General Tab, search for Device Configuration and then you can edit the admin password of Local Credentials.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels