MX64 and Time limiting internet access

telston
Comes here often

MX64 and Time limiting internet access

As stated in a previous thread, I use an MX64 at home. I do basic web filtering and content filtering for my kids. Is there a way to limit their iPads to 2 hours of internet access per day? I dont do anything fancy with VLAN's as my WAP doesnt support them.

6 Replies 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could use an SSID just for them, and make use a schedule so it is only on for 2 hours per day.

Sorry, just spotted you are using an MX64.

You could create a default firewall that blocks everything.  Apply the "Whitelisted" group policy for things that should have permanent access.  Then create a group policy on a schedule to allow access for the children.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Creating_and_Applying_Group_Poli...

Was hoping for something more "adaptive" They dont have set times they have to be on it, they just have a maximum of 1hr 45 minutes per day. Its theirs to choose what they do with that time whether its Netflix, read e-books, music, games, etc.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you don't mind using a splash page, you could set the splash page frequency. But I don't think this will stop them logging in again.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Splash_Page/Splash_page_frequency

Screenshot from 2018-05-05 12-29-58.png

Scratch that, I forgot you don't have Meraki WiFi.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apart from having a fixed scheduled, I can't think of anyway of doing this using only an MX.  You could use a third part service like Splash Access to provide a splash page, and they support time limits, but overkill for a home environment.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels