MX64 / Internet Suddenly Stops Working

Brentc76
Conversationalist

MX64 / Internet Suddenly Stops Working

I'll try to keep this short and simple.  🤣

First of all, this is my Home Network.  I work from home quite a bit, and stream music, video, etc... (All of the normal Family things)

My Incoming Internet is Fiber to the home, then goes to an ONT Device provided by the ISP.  From there, I'm handed a CAT5e Cable to plug into my MX.

My Home Network is this - ISP Plugs into MX64 -->  MX64 Plugs into MS120 -->  MR33 Plugs into MS120
So, I have Firewall, then Switch, then Wireless AP.

Okay - now that is out of the way, he is what I've been coming across.

I can be working from home throughout the day, or watching Netflix/Hulu/Disney at night, or just scrolling on Facebook.  The Issue is this.  At no warning, My Internet is Gone.  To resolve this, I can either reboot the MX, or simply unplug the "Internet" from the MX and then plug it in a few seconds later.  I will then have Internet restored.  But, my problem is, it has been happening a lot over the past week.  This shouldn't happen at all.

I submitted a case with Meraki, and they sent me a new MX.  Put it in, and 6 hours later, I had the issue come back.  So, I do not think it is Hardware related.  I have gone over and over my configuration on my MX, but it is not complex at all.  I have AMP enabled, (Yes, I tried it being disabled).  I have IDS enabled, (Yes, I tried it being Disabled)

I've had the MX in place for about 3 months, and I'm just now seeing these issues.

I've got several MX Devices in my corporate environment, and They do not have these issues.

I have read several of the articles on the Forum, and I saw one note about using a cross over cable between the ISP and MX.  Should I try that?

I've replied a few times to the case that is open with Meraki Support, and I've not gotten any feedback regarding the latest events.

The Logs in the MX are crap too, When service is disrupted, and then restored, there are no log files to see what may have been the culprit.  If I download the .dat" file from the main Appliance Splash Page (setup.meraki.com) would that tell me anything different?  I'd really like to know if there is a way that I can "Log" the events to see what is causing this issue.

btw - there has been nothing change in my home environment as far as ISP, Network Hardware, etc.... since 3 months ago when I installed all Meraki Equipment.

Any ideas?

Brent

26 Replies 26
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Shouldn't you have a modem in their somewhere? ONT should have the CAT6 cable go straight to your ISP provided modem, then to your MX, or at least that is how I've always had to do it between Comcast or AT&T.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

In my country the ONT is usually plugged directly into the MX and you throw the ISP modem away.  So there may be some variation between countries on their fibre deployments.

Quite some time ago their was an arp bug affecting the WAN interfaces that could make them loose connectivity after a while (when the ARP entry timed out).

Are you running a recent firmware?

If you plug directly into the MX64 while the outage is happening can you access the Internet (which would mean the problem was between the MX and the switch/AP)?

Otherwise while an outage is happening what does the MX local status page report?

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M... 

If I plug directly into the MX with my laptop, I am unable to access the internet.
If I unplug the cable going into the MX, then plug it into my Laptop, Internet works.

If I then plug back into the MX, the Internet works for everyone.

yes, I am running the most recent firmware on all devices.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We'll need to know what the local status page says during an outage.

I guess another slim possibility is a duplicate IP address.  Perhaps when you plug your notebook directly into the MX try unplugging anything else plugged into it.

I also did that just a moment ago, I just came home to no internet, and only had the MX plugged into internet and then plugged my laptop into the MX.

the internet never came back.

i now have the internet plugged into my laptop.

I will plug into my MX in 2 minutes.

Sorry, forgot to note, while an outage is happening, the setup.meraki.com page shows "Something is Wrong"

the lights on all devices are Solid Orange.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>"Something is Wrong"

It doesn't mention anything else like DNS errors of anything else?

nope, nothing. 

Nope, no need for a modem.

the MX acts as the "Router"

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does your ISP give you a static or dynamic IP?

Are you using DHCP, PPPoE or a static configuration?

@Brentc76 wrote:

Nope, no need for a modem.

the MX acts as the "Router"

Generally speaking one needs a modem and a router. The MX fulfills the function of the router whilst a modem converts the ADSL/VDSL signal from the ISP's termination box (not all such boxes are ONTs) to a RJ45 Ethernet compatible signal.

However, there are some caveats:

• most ISP supplied routers are combined modem/router devices
  • a FTTP internet connection may use an ONT which connects to a switch or a router using a RJ45 ethernet patch cable
  • some ISP termination devices need to be put into bridge mode for the connection via a router using PPPoE/PPPoA to authenticate and connect with the ISP's network.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

@Uberseehandel 

I truly have an ONT at my home.  I have no need for a Modem or an additional Router.
I can plug my laptop directly into the Internet line and I have Internet with no additional devices connected or configuration needed

I do not need to have anything relating to Bridged mode as this is a Home Internet and if the ISP relied on the Home users to have modems in Bridged Mode, in my opinion, that would be crazy to have as a default setup.

In the past, I've used various Linksys and NetGear Home Routers, but for some reason, I can never get my full bandwidth to flow through them to wireless or wired devices.

btw - I have the ISP coming to my home to check the Line on Wednesday.

@Brentc76 wrote:

@Uberseehandel 

I truly have an ONT at my home.  I have no need for a Modem or an additional Router.
I can plug my laptop directly into the Internet line and I have Internet with no additional devices connected or configuration needed

I do not need to have anything relating to Bridged mode as this is a Home Internet and if the ISP relied on the Home users to have modems in Bridged Mode, in my opinion, that would be crazy to have as a default setup.

In the past, I've used various Linksys and NetGear Home Routers, but for some reason, I can never get my full bandwidth to flow through them to wireless or wired devices.

btw - I have the ISP coming to my home to check the Line on Wednesday.

What you have is more than an ONT, it is also a fibre to RJ45 converter. This is quite common, especially when the ISP is delivering a multi-play service, such as  Internet-TV-VoIP. (ONT = Optical Network Terminal). When you connect a laptop to the RJ45 Ethernet port to the "ONT", make a note of how the laptop's Ethernet connection is configured, and configure the uplink from the USG to the ISP's termination device in the same manner. Generally speaking, a VLAN ID should not be used on this connection, unless there are multiple tagged services being delivered by the ISP.

It is quite normal to configure intermediate devices/modems as bridges to improve IPTV delivery and avoid issues with VoIP services.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Thanks for the very details explanation.

😎

Nope, from the Cat5e/Cat6 Provided cable from the ISP, it plugs directly into the Home Router.

I've previously used Linksys Router, Netgear Router, and now the Meraki Security Appliance/Router without any other device between the supplied Cat5e/cat6 cable and my Home Network.

Yes, when I had Mediacom, I had to have a Modem connected, and then I had my Netgear/Linksys Router in line.  I did not have to use a Netgear or Linksys Router, Yes, I could have plugged directly into the Cable Modem, but I'd rather not plug into "Dirty Internet".

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When it breaks; when you plug the ISP circuit into your notebook can you then plug it back into the MX - without power cycling anything - and have it work?

yepper - Just a simple unplug, and plug in of the Main Internet Line will fix it.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using DHCP, PPPoE or a static IP for the ISP circuit?

This really smells like the old WAN ARP issue.  If you aren't using 15.x, try jumping to that.

My current version is MX 14.40

Not seeing the option to update to 15.x

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Not seeing the option to update to 15.x

You should be able to select it under Organization/Firmware Upgrades.

ok, I found it, I am updating now.

This ISP only provides Dynamic IPs

So, how do I get around this ARP Issue you spoke of in a previous post?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>So, how do I get around this ARP Issue you spoke of in a previous post?

It was resolved in a firmware issue long ago.  It should not have popped back up again.

Another less likely possibility; I worked on an issue like this a couple of years ago and it turned out the ISP was getting low on IP address space and rotated their IP address pool too frequently.  So when a new customer reset their router it got an IP address that another customer was already using - knocking that existing customer off.

If the customer reset their router they got a new IP which got them back online - but knocking another customer offline.

You could test this improbable case by plugging in some other brand of router, or even just leaving your notebook plugged directly into the ISP circuit for a prolonged period of time.  If the issue keeps happening - it may be your ISP with the issue.

So, I was hopeful that updating to the latest and greatest version of firmware for the MX would be the end all to my issues.  It's been about 24 hours, and no issues until now.  the internet just went out again.  I've been watching Netflix all day, and my daughter has been on YouTube.  This is not out of ordinary behavior for my home network.

I have not tried any other Router yet, but, the next time it happens, I may re-connect the Linksys Router that I removed prior to installing the MX.  I really hate to do that because I feel the Linksys restricted by Bandwidth quite a bit.

I'll keep all updated

Navidg
Comes here often

Hi @Brentc76 

I'm just wondering if you have found a way to fix it...

Cheers,

Navid

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels