MX450 Hardware Spare License

Solved
mmunn
Conversationalist

MX450 Hardware Spare License

We have a MX450 currently and would like to have a spare to reduce downtime.  If we purchase a replacement device(used) and do the physical hardware swap, do we have to purchase another Security-SD WAN license or can we simply swap the hardware and use the currently license? 

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, no additional license is required for the spare.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, no additional license is required for the spare.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

mmunn
Conversationalist

Thanks for your help!

Only one license is required for an HA pair. The warm spare unit does not require a separate license. Alerts for warm spare failover can be configured on the Network-wide > Configure > Alerts page.

Note: The spare MX must be the same MX model as the primary. Warm spare functionality is not supported between different MX models (for example, MX85 and MX105).

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels