MX250 and fiber aggregation?

JMY34
Getting noticed

MX250 and fiber aggregation?

We use a couple of Meraki MX250 switches at the small school district I work in. Recently our ISP bumped us from 1Gbps to 10Gbps, and I was wondering if we can use our MX250s to aggregate Fiber connections between our schools to 20gbps. Does the MX250 support that, or can I just do 10Gbps? Thanks.

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can, the maximum stack bandwidth is 80Gbps.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/MS_Overview_and_Specifications/MS250_Overview_and_Specifications

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To clarify, are you talking about MX250 security gateways, or MS250 switches?

The MX security gateway line does not support link aggregation.

The MS switch line does support link aggregation.

JMY34
Getting noticed

I was talking about the MX250s. I can see what kind of switches we have, but I think they're only MS75 at best, some are a smaller number as well. Can I at least see about changing our Fiber cables over to 10Gbps on the device our fiber internet comes in on?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What you are talking about is confusing. MX is a firewall and not a switch. And MX doesn't support link aggregation.

Can you send a photo of the equipment so that we can help as best as possible?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Here is our main MX and first 48-port switch. I noticed that the Elementary School and High School are only getting one strand of fiber. MXMX48-port switch48-port switch

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry buddy.

LACP & Link Aggregation

The MX does not run LACP or any link aggregation protocols. Connecting aggregated ports to the LAN of the MX is not supported; all connected ports should be un-aggregated. If multiple ports are connected to the MX from a single switch for redundancy, it is highly recommended that you run STP on that switch, to ensure that one of the redundant ports is safely put into a blocking state.

It's okay. Any problems you can see based on the photos? Should I look into adding another fiber strand to the Elementary School and High School? And is it still worth seeing if I can upgrade the fiber cables going to the MS250s in other locations? Thank you.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sorry, but I still can't understand exactly what you're wanting to know.

Taking into account only the images I cannot express any opinions about your network, first because I know absolutely nothing about your network, second because your question is very subjective.

Our ISP just upgraded us from 1Gbps to 10Gbps, and I was wanting to make sure our other schools were getting the full 10Gbps if possible. The switches we're using are MS225s. I don't know if those support aggregation.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, the MS supports link aggregation. It has 4 SFP+ ports

alemabrahao_0-1689080017661.png

You can easily check it on the datesheet.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/MS_Overview_and_Specifications/MS250_Overview_and_Specifications

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels