MX in L2 Transparent mode

diablo24
Building a reputation

MX in L2 Transparent mode

Hi,

If an MX is in L2/Passthrough mode, the WAN1 link is still configured with an IP for mgmt, correct? How does it act in this mode if there's an IP on an interface?

Thanks in advance,

-Jerome

2 Replies 2
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi 

Some excerpts from the following KB.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Networks_and_Routing/Addressing_and_VLANs#Addressing%26VLANs-P...

In this mode, the MX device does not provide any address translation and operates as a passthrough device between the Internet and the LAN ports (sometimes referred to as a Layer 2 bridge).

ALSO

Placing an MX appliance in Passthrough mode at the perimeter of your network with a publicly routable IP address is not recommended and can present security risks. As a best practice, Passthrough mode MX appliances should always be deployed behind an edge firewall.

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
diablo24
Building a reputation

Thanks @AjitKumar. Yes I've read all this. The reason I ask this question is I'm doing some apps using the API and I was looking for a way to determine what mode the FW as in, since there are no API that return that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels