MX Warm spare

RichPekarsky
Here to help

MX Warm spare

This question is not service impacting per se, but it is one that I don't understand.  We have warm spares at all of our sites.  Almost all of them have the address that is input into the primary.  When I do an export of all of the org equipment, I get several MX warm spare devices that do not have the address populated.  Since there is not a way to input an address into the warm spare MX dashboard page, my question has two parts:

1. where does the MX warm spare devices generate or collect the address that is in the primary MX?

2. Why are some not showing this information and how to remediate the issue?

Thanks

Rich

6 REPLIES 6
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Are you talking about the LAN address?

sorry no the physical address...here is a sample...

SN-0115-01MX842275 Health Dr SW, Wyoming, MI 49519
SN-0115-02MX84 
SN-0116-01MX845221 Cherry Ave
Hudsonvill​e, MI 49426
SN-0116-02MX845221 Cherry Ave
Hudsonvill​e, MI 49426

5-13-2020 3-46-40 PM.jpg

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Interestingly on the dashboard the passive applicable doesn't have an address either.  Perhaps the ones that show up have been the active appliance at some point and the ones that don't have not...?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The spareMX uses the same physical address as the primary.

When the spare is Passiveit does not send any frames on the LAN whatsoever. Once the spare becomes Master it then uses the MAC of the Primary. 

Here's some pcaps to illustrate:

Primary as Master, sending VRRP:

image.png

And the Spare, now as Master, sending VRRP:

image.png

The only way you can actually tell the difference it looking at the Priority value of the VRRP packets to know which device the it came from. I assure you though, these were sent from two different MX's that were in a Warm Spare. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva @RichPekarsky is referring to the street address, not the layer 1 address.  If you go to the standby MX in the dashboard there is no street address shown...  It should be where the question mark is:

Screenshot_20200514-091123_Chrome.jpg

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@cmr wrote:

@jdsilva @RichPekarsky is referring to the street address, not the layer 1 address.  

Haha WOW I can be pretty dense sometimes! I'll go back to my hole now.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels