MX VRRP MAC Address bug ?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX VRRP MAC Address bug ?

Hi ,

We have multiple warm spaces and I have been taking packet capures and this is what I found : 

MX450 Warm Space 15.40 VRRP MAC ADDRESS : e0:cb:bc:a3:9b:f8 burned-in MAC : e0:cb:bc:a3:9b:f8 ( Passthrough )
MX450 Warm Space 15.42.1 VRRP MAC ADDRESS : 2c:3f:0b:e6:ba:47 burned-in MAC : 2c:3f:0b:e6:ba:47 ( Passthrough )
MX250 Warm Space 14.53 VRRP MAC ADDRESS : cc:03:d9:25:be:f9 burned-in MAC : f8:9e:28:25:be:f9 ( Routed )

Does anyone have a Warm space with 15.44 or 15.44.1 that is willing to do a packet capture and compare with my finding ? It MIGHT be fixed in 15.44 or 15.44.1 but I'm not too sure.

Also , the MS documentation states : "The virutal MAC address will always begin with 88-15-44" then procedes to show a screenshot with the VRRP Mac adress from the RFC 5798 ( 00-00-5E-00-01-XX   , where XX = RID ). It's a bit confusing and there is a typo ( virutal ).

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview

The MX documentation doesn't state anything about the MAC adress so you would assume it is under the VRRP standard , which is false. It would be nice to include how the MAC is selected ( The First 3 octets for the virtual mac address will be "cc:03:d9" and is based on Primary MX.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

Some will say that I'm picky , you are 100% right 🙂 

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Agreed the doc should go into more depth about how the virtual MAC process works. I will run this by MX PM for feedback.

If in the HA config you use the uplink IPs then you should see the physical MACs. If you use a VIP it will create a virtual MAC as you mentioned above.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have just checked a coupe of HA pairs and have:

VPN concentrator mode - MX16.15 - virtual MAC beginning cc:03:d9, physical MACs begin e0:cb:bc (primary) and 68:3a:1e (warm spare)

Routed mode - MX16.16 - virtual MAC beginning cc:03:d9, I don't see physical MACs

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Great ! We now have answers to our questions  1- CC:03:D9 is always used on MX in Warm Space ( doesn't matter if it's concentrator or routed mode ) 2 - This ''issue'' is fixed on the MX 16.X branch , and seems to have been introduced in MX 15.XX and MIGHT be fixed in 15.44.1 ( still to be confirmed ) 

Thanks a lot for your time ! : )

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Late to the show ! But IT was fixed in MX15.44 !

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels