MX Updating static route to a /24 subnet to make it a /23 subnet.

StephenArcher
New here

MX Updating static route to a /24 subnet to make it a /23 subnet.

Hi All,

I am updating an existing static route on our MX250 (Firmware MX 18.211) from a /24 to a /23 subnet as it is becoming full on a daily basis.  I did the same on a different MX250 a few months ago with no issues.

When trying to save I get the unhelpful error "Policy must be '0' or '1'" (pic attached)

All I have done is change the /24 to /23 on an existing static route.  The next /24 subnet (which will now be included /23 subnet is not in use on our network and doesn't show if i search the route table.

All I can seem to find online with the same error message is someone saying it is a conflict with a policy in traffic shaping / flow preference.  I have checked that MX and there is no policies referencing that VLAN.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction before I log a support ticket it will be appreciated.

StephenArcher_0-1727768346005.png

7 Replies 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you post a screenshot prior to hitting save?

What happens if you change it to another random /23, and then change it back?

Are there any NAT for port forward entries into that subnet?

Morning Philip,

Here is a screenshot of the route i am updating,  it has been in place for a few years and I am just changing the /24 to a /23.

There are also no NAT's to port forwarding to this subnet.

StephenArcher_0-1727853307582.png

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you happen to have a group policy applied to te vlan?
In that case try to disable it first and save, then change the subnet and save and enable it again and save.

Hi Glden,

There are no group policies setup for this network.

Good shout though.

Kevin_R
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello StephenArcher,

Have you tried saving any other changes on the Addressing & VLANs page to see if that also generates an error? You could attempt to make a dummy static route or try updating a VLAN name to test this. Additionally, does clicking the save button at the bottom of the page produce the error message?

Sometimes vague error messages aren't directly related to the change you are making, but rather are an issue validating all settings across different pages.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Hi Kevin,

I have just tried to setup a new static route to 10.19.163.0/24 which would be included if i extend the 10.19.162.0/24 to be a /23 but get the same error.

I have also tried to setup a route to 10.19.240.0/24 which isn't in use anywhere on our network and get the same error.  I have also tried this one with a different gateway with the same result.

I have also just tried to update a static routes name (no other changes) and get the same error weirdly.

I have tried both the save button at the bottom and the floating one on the right, both have the same effect.

There is nothing showing in the event log or change log to help me narrow down what the issue is.

I have been through most of the "config" pages and can't see any reference to other configurations relating to that subnet.

I have also tried it in two different browsers just in case.

Any other ideas?

StephenArcher_1-1727853621391.png

StephenArcher_2-1727853621392.png

StephenArcher_3-1727853621393.png

StephenArcher
New here

Hi All,

As part of a different change i have just tired to change part of a DHCP configuraiton at a different site and remove a "allowed VLAN" from a phycial port.  Both changes are getting exactly the same error on different MX's.

So this leads me to belive it it a permissions issue despite being a full administrator on the system.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels