MX/SD-WAN feature roadmap

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

MX/SD-WAN feature roadmap

Just a few questions around MX/SD-WAN features/roadmap incase anyone on the community has this knowledge.

- vMX appliances for Azure/AWS, will these ever be able to be placed into NAT mode effectively acting as a gateway for a VPC/VNET to an IGW.

- Will there be any updates to the Layer 7 pre-defined rules within dashboard/Is there any roadmap to introduce a feature where customers can proactively request for applications to be added to the pre-defined list? (Same idea could be followed for Layer 7 firewall application rules.)

On another note, with Cisco purchasing Viptela would there be any of the IP from Viptela being introduced into the MX range to improve the SD-WAN functionality? - If an MX was to be up against a Viptela/competitor solution solely based on the SD-WAN functionality the MX's ability does somewhat fall behind. 

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
2 Replies 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @MilesMeraki please do keep making wishes and share the use case for the vMX with your Meraki or Meraki Partner reps to check with the product team.  To your 2nd question, yes, some things are in the works , keep checking the release notes for the beta versions on the Firmware Management page, and also ask your Meraki team if you can be included in the application analytics beta. 

Regarding Viptela, it's still pretty new, but I wouldn't expect any sudden Viptela IP integration into MX, they will each have unique capabilities for different use cases and different customer requirements, granted with a little overlap.  I'd expect you'll see continued MX deployments for existing Meraki customers where you need full-stack management with integrated threat management (AMP, IPS, URL Filtering, etc) and all the goodness of Dashboard for simple cross-functional management, reporting, monitoring & troubleshooting.  And you'll see Viptela continue to be deployed for existing Viptela or ISR 4K deployments and where you have more complex deployments like per-VRF customization & topologies, WAN acceleration and TCP optimization, and/or need end-to-end secure WAN segmentation across private/public cloud infrastructure.  And of course there will be some overlap, both solutions will fully cover your L3 VPN overlays, with transport independence, L3-7 policy management, config templates, 4G/LTE failover, virtual AWS/Azure platforms, etc.

Thanks @MerakiDave. I'll reach out to our SE to ask about being apart of the Beta analtics programme.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels