MX - Do MX care about DHCP option 26 ?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX - Do MX care about DHCP option 26 ?

Hi ,

I'm trying to test DHCP option 26. 

I have 1 DHCP device ( another MX ) configured with DHCP option 26 with a value of 1280.

My second MX ( the DHCP client ) sends a DHCP Discover ( D-O-R-A ) and requests in DHCP option 55 ( PRL ) the option 26. 

The DHCP server responds ( D-O-R-A ) with the option 26 , but the MX ends up ignoring that value. The MTU stays unchanged. I'm wondering if that has ever worked or simply bugged in MX18.107.x

RaphaelL_1-1695231356100.png

4 Replies 4
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just out of curiosity, are you running DF-bit pingtests to determine the upstream MTU or is there a way to see it on the MX itself what MTU it is using?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have a packet capture running on the "WAN" side of the MX and I can see the MX sourcing packets > 1400 bytes. It "should" be using my option 26 which is set to 1280. 

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Edit : 

I tried a more common MTU value ( 1492 = PPPoE ) and still the MX won't honor it : 

RaphaelL_0-1695309947618.png

Might have to try with a different firmware version ( running 18.107.4 and 18.107.5 )

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I was a bit wrong.  The MX will honor the value but it won't perform MSS clamping , which I'm trying to confirm with Support if that's the expected behavior.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels