MX DNS Cache

AlexanderDrago
Getting noticed

MX DNS Cache

Hello, everyone! I have one question. Does meraki collect a dns cache?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Tony_Ang
Getting noticed

Hi @AlexanderDrago

Yes and it is called HTTP web caching is only available on devices that have a physical disk.

Z1, MX60, MX60W, MX64, and MX64Ws will not be able to use this feature. 

If you're not in this model then you can find it at Security Appliance > Configure > Traffic Shaping

Below is the screen shot.

Web cachingWeb caching

Okay, meraki collect cache. But how i understand first he asking resolver servers anyway? I mean in DHCP when we choose which name servers we will use.

Hi @AlexanderDrago

It depends how name DNS server do you address to the DHCP client that leased from the DHCP server.

Let's put it a scenario, if you have 1 DNS/Name servers then it will pick the only one. If you have 2 then it will pick the 2nd line DNS but if you have 3 then it will still pick the 2nd line as well.

Lol, this sounds like back to school time, my apology as I might be wrong.

But I would recommend you to lease your DHCP in the Meraki 🙂

No problems 🙂 my first question in dhcp config we have field dns server there we can choose proxy, use google, use opendns and last point we chose which dns we will use 1 or 2 or 3. Doesnot metter what point we will chose meraki router asking resolver servers anyway? If they collect cache or not. Second question if web cache(you wrote upper)turn off that mean meraki dont collect cache? Im right? Thank you

The DHCP configuration DNS settings in Meraki tells each client making a DHCP request which DNS servers to use.  If you specify multiple DNS servers, the client will make its requests based on its own algorithm.  For Windows this is detailed here. It can be quite complicated.

As I understand it, the MX devices don't have DNS servers - no DNS caching. HTTP caching is for caching of HTTP content only (e.g. web pages, graphics etc.).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels