MX AMP & Threat Grid Updates

andychew
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

MX AMP & Threat Grid Updates

Hello Meraki Community,

We released firmware MX 14.56, MX 15.43 and MX 16.7 for our MX devices. These new firmware versions include important changes required for MX to AMP and Threat Grid communications. 

To ensure MX’s AMP and Threat Grid services continue to operate properly, please upgrade to one of the below firmware versions or higher:

• MX 14.56
  • MX 15.43
  • MX 16.7

Prior to the below dates:

• AMP enabled MX devices will need to be upgraded prior to the second half of 2022. As timelines approach the later half of 2022, a more concrete date will be shared.
  • Threat Grid enabled MX devices will need to be upgraded prior to Sept 2022.

If AMP enabled MX devices are not upgraded prior to the above mentioned dates, AMP will fail to connect to AMP Cloud and result in a fail closed behavior. This will cause all AMP inspected file downloads to be blocked unless AMP is manually disabled.

At the time of this note, Dashboard firmware page will only display MX 15.44 as the latest Stable Release available for upgrade. MX 14.56 is intended for our legacy devices (Z1, MX 60/W, MX 80, and MX 90), which cannot upgrade to any newer major release versions beyond MX 14.X. When upgrading to newer major release versions for the legacy devices, Dashboard will automatically adjust to the latest supported firmware for these devices (MX 14.56 in this case). For more information regarding MX firmware restrictions, please see here.

We advise all customers that use these features to upgrade to one of these recommended versions as soon as possible. 

If it is in your operational policy to test and qualify new firmware versions prior to actual migration, we encourage you to please take the time now to qualify MX 14.56 and MX 15.44 and up in your environments and migrate when possible.

For future reference, these required firmware versions and dates are also posted in our AMP and Threat Grid documentations.

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @andychew , apart from this post how else is this being communicated to end users and Partners?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC I've received an email regarding that one a few days ago because my Org is actively using this feature.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @CptnCrnch , how’s it going?

AMP and Threatgrid or just AMP?

All our MXs have Advanced Security licenses and AMP enabled and not seen anything as yet.

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
andychew
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @DarrenOC ,

Great question.

Emails are being sent to end users that leverage these services. These emails will come in multiple rounds. Since the Threat Grid timeline is earlier than AMP, Threat Grid users will receive these emails first. Emails to our AMP users will follow shortly.

Our Account Team is also reaching out to our partners to bring awareness to the required upgrade.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

AMP and Threat Grid @DarrenOC 

JimmyM
Getting noticed

Hi,

Anyone know which SKU we need to have integration with MX for

Thread Grid and Umbrella ?

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @JimmyM , take a look at the below document 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Content_Filtering_and_Threat_Protection/Threat_Grid_Integration#....

andychew
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello Meraki Community,

We want to provide a quick update regarding our recent firmware releases relative to AMP and Threat Grid .

We recently released firmware MX 15.44 Stable Release Candidate to replace MX 15.43 Stable Release Candidate. MX 15.44 includes additional updates unrelated to AMP and Threat Grid. To view the exact updates, please see here for instructions to view the firmware change log.

We understand that some production network environments have a requirement to only run the latest Stable firmware version. To provide MX networks that currently leverage Threat Grid with the necessary changes in the latest Stable firmware version prior to Oct 1, 2021, we also recently released MX 15.42.3 to include the Threat Grid only update as our latest Stable firmware.

If the MX device upgrades to MX 15.42.3 latest Stable with the Threat Grid only update, please follow the below two step process prior to the mentioned dates:

• Upgrade to MX 15.42.3 prior to Oct 1, 2021.
  • Upgrade to MX 15.43 and up or MX 16.7 and up prior to Dec 1, 2021. This is because Threat Grid relies on AMP.

In the coming days, we will send email notifications to all AMP and Threat Grid customers that have not transitioned to the appropriate firmware versions.

To keep all dates and requirements within one post, the original post has been amended to reflect this update. 

Thank you.

leftshot
Here to help

Yes, we received this notice via email.  However, I am confused.  We are using AMP and our MX-84 has firmware MX 15.42.1 and our device lists the configuration as "Up to Date".  So there is no upgrade button or other instructions.  How am I supposed to upgrade the firmware to 15.42.3 or 15.43?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@leftshot what options do you get if you go to Organization/Firmware Upgrades, pick the All Networks tab, select the network in question (tick the box at the left hand end of the line) and press the Schedule upgrades button?

I get this for an MX on 15.42:

cmr_0-1630915806552.png

That worked.  Using your instructions it listed 15.42.3 as an available upgrade for our network and I was able to schedule it.

andychew
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello Meraki Community,

We want to provide another quick update regarding MX's Threat Grid firmware requirement. For Threat Grid, the original required firmware upgrade date has been extended from Oct 1, 2021 to Sept 2022.

As of today,  the required AMP firmware upgrade date remains as Dec 1, 2021.

To keep all dates and requirements within one post, the original post has been amended to reflect this recent update. 

Thank you.

andychew
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hello Meraki Community,

We want to provide yet another update regarding MX's AMP firmware requirement. For AMP, the original required firmware upgrade date has been extended from Dec 1, 2021 to second half of 2022As timelines approach the later half of 2022, a more concrete date will be shared.

To keep all dates and requirements within one post, the original post has been amended to reflect this recent update. 

Thank you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels