MX-85 slowdown recently. Firmware?

JamesWynen
Here to help

MX-85 slowdown recently. Firmware?

Thruput Seems to be recently forced capped at 350/350mbps speeds at a too consistent ceiling not to be some kind of limiting action, previously was 920/920 minimum.  is connected to Fixed Ip fiber connection. Cisco 3400E head unit.  Tested direct in to that 3400E is 980/980 min.  

This a result of a recent firmware upgrade I suspect.  And some non user end changes to intrusion detection. Log checked no changes on MX.

I see other similar posts but with different hardware.

5 Replies 5
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Version 16 firmware saw some significant performance improvements.

Some people have noted issues on v17 (although none bandwidth related that I've seen).

Other than checking the usual - disabling security settings, ensuring no traffic shaping etc - it might be worth testing downgrading back to the latest 16.x or opening a case with support.

It’s 17.10.2. Testing directly into one of the MX ports. So not switch issue. Very curious. But I will try disabling the threat component.  I am moving a lot of security video traffic (100mbps constant) thru the meraki spoke/hub VPN to some other networks in the organization, maybe it examines that package type more slowly, but why if it’s hub/spoke traffic?

Lurick
Getting noticed

I've noticed similar issues too, slow web browsing and page load times among other issues on 17.10.2 compared to the last 16.x version. As soon as I roll back everything works great and response times are excellent and when I upgrade to 17.10.x the issues come right back. I've also noticed the same thing in 18.104 as well which is odd.

I'll try messing with threat settings later and see if I can get things working smoothly again. The users are mostly connected via WiFi to the MX68 in my case though but similar issues.

ls08
Here to help

How are you all running your speed test ? iperf to public servers ?

JamesWynen
Here to help

Iperf3.1.3 in terminal direct to provider’s servers. (Breezeline, old miami Atlantic broadband).  I’m still fiddling so we see what I find out.  It’s probably something simple, but no log changes have been made to the threat center setting since end of 2021. It’s also happening at another Propery in network on the organization that also has an MX-85.  I have some unopened spare MX-85’s that I’ll probably swap in with it’s default configuration out of the box. And we see what happens.  Then I’ll do a line by line compare of configuration if indeed the out of box one is back running 950+

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels