MX 64 & wireless latency issues.

b-lo
Just browsing

MX 64 & wireless latency issues.

I have my Meraki kit set up in my home network. I have the MX64 acting as a Passthrough.  The uplink is to mt BT Home Hub.  My issue is that when the MX64 is introduced to the network it causes some crazy high latency which affects, strangely enough, wirelessly connected devices.  So on wirelessly connected laptop web page loads can just time out, or they will try and load for a long time, then when they do start loading the speed is fine.  Downloading large files from the internet, or LAN, speeds are fine.  If I restart the BT Home Hub, things are right for several minutes, until this performance issue kicks in again.  It is so bad my Echo, won't even stream music, whilst the MX64 is in the equation.

I am thinking of disabling the wi-fi on the BT Home Hub and using the Meraki AP connected here to the MX, but I am not sure if will make any difference at this stage.  Apologies if this is a newbie error.  If any further info is requiired please let me know and thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm wondering if you could have a network loop formed.  If you unplug everything from the LAN ports of the MX does the WiFi off the BT device work ok?

If it does, try plugging in one device at a time to the LAN ports of the MX until the issue happens again.  Then you will isolate it down to one thing.

It's not air marshal running on the Meraki AP and detecting a rogue access point (bt home hub) is it?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Air_Marshal

I have powered off the AP, and it it still occurring.

I have the AP powered off, so Air Marshall is not running.  Issue persists.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth 

Most BT HomeHubs cannot be configured to pass-through, although they can support a DMZ. Similarly, they cannot turn off NAT. There may be a new HH which does all this, but I haven't been offered it.

To add to the problems, we have double-NAT.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@b-lo wrote:

. . . I have the MX64 acting as a Passthrough.  The uplink is to mt BT Home Hub.  My issue is that when the MX64 is introduced to the network it causes some crazy high latency which affects, strangely enough, wirelessly connected devices. . .  It is so bad my Echo, won't even stream music, whilst the MX64 is in the equation.

I am thinking of disabling the wi-fi on the BT Home Hub and using the Meraki AP connected here to the MX,  

The questions which occur to me are:

• Why are you still using the BT HH
  • Are you sending BT IPTV to the MX
  • Are your Echo devices connected to the MX
  • What is your VLAN configuration

BT IPTV requires that an IGMP Proxy be configured on the router. You can't do that on the MX.

Whilst the MS switches handle IGMP snooping, it may not be possible to configure the MX to pass-through the multicast stream from the BT HH to the MS switch.

I solved this problem, but it required building a second physical network. The second network handles all the IoT kit, guest wireless, multicast playout devices, a/v devices. Lots of VLANs.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels