MX 64/65 throughput???

RYN0
Here to help

MX 64/65 throughput???

Is it me or does it seem unusual that the bandwidth limit is only 250Mbps for MX64/65 security appliances? It just seems artificially low. I have some smaller clients that have 1Gbps fiber now, that only have between 10-20 devices, and they cannot even use their bandwidth fully, unless they were to get an MX250....again for less that 20 client devices.  Seems a bit ludicrous. I should be able to set the bandwidth to a full 1Gbps, since the WAN port is a gig ethernet port. I can do this on z1's. Why not MX64's?

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It just wouldn't have enough CPU power and may become unstable.

Ole_Soerensen
Here to help

Its kept @ 250Mb/sec by a built in policer (interface is normal 1 Gig offcource).

According to Meraki SE, this is implemented because they want to make sure, that the device in question will always perform the guaranteed 250Mb throughput, no matter what type of inspection etc. you throw at it...  also they have to keep cpu "overhead" for some of the upcoming features..

So yeah...  if you try to do a test with iperf etc... you will se, that it is more than capable of doing +300Mbs, but then the policer kicks in.

I would have liked the opportunity to use it at its full capability, but i respect the choice Meraki made instead, guaranteeing performance up to a certain speed... you know what you get.. no tuning or shortcuts needed 🙂

Best Regards

Ole    

Thanks for explaining,

have to look for a different solution for our network now. Was seriously thinking about getting a MX65W. Spares me the trouble of beeing not able to use the full bandwidth. 

Regards,

Stef

Adam
Kind of a big deal

This has come up quite a bit.  I'm optimistic that Meraki will create a low-end MX device that can support higher bandwidth.  Especially now that such highspeed connections are inexpensive in many areas. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels