MPLS Connected To MX Series Appliances (No Internet over MPLS)

jetaylor
Here to help

MPLS Connected To MX Series Appliances (No Internet over MPLS)

Hello Everyone!

So i've been looking over some documentation on MPLS integration with Meraki. To clarify, i am not trying to establish the Auto VPN over our MPLS circuits. What i want to do is be able to dedicate these circuits to send some prioritized traffic between three main sites for server replication. I have these MPLS circuits as part of a contract for another year or two so i'd like to see some use out of them.

So going by Meraki Documentation, it looks like i need to have a dedicated router at the end of each MPLS circuit to resemble something like this.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Integrating_an_MPLS_Connection_on_the_MX_LA...

Is it possible to route the MPLS circuits directly from Site A,B,C without having to use the second router at each site? I'd like to minimize the amount of equipment i have and attempt to use 100% meraki for this project.

Below is my ideal setup if possible. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Site A has a MX250

Site B has a MX250

Site C has a MX84

Meraki MPLS.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You dont need another router if you dont talk mpls  yourself.  But just ask your mpls provider for the requirements.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's just the thing.  If you want application aware routing and priotization between sites you need the SD-WAN features which does use AutoVPN.  It's the whole setup of these devices.

Last I checked you still need an internet breakout on your MPLS cloud to negotiate the tunnels unless Meraki has a way of sharing WAN1 information over WAN2 to facilitate the tunnels or a way to manually tell how to form the VPN tunnels.

Just to clarify, i'm not going to establish the Auto VPN across the MPLS Circuits. This would strictly be to use the available bandwidth for some server traffic to replicate across separately. Think more along the lines of DR Replication but not to interfere with day to day usage by clients. 

**Lan of MX-A to Lan of MX-B**

Thanks!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does each site also have an Internet circuit?

If so, configure a VLAN on each MX and connect the MPLS circuits in that way.  Then just use static routing to say what you want sent over the MPLS circuits.

Yes. They all have 200/200 DIA with 200/200 DIA Redundant providers. (Represented buy the meraki cloud in the middle) sorry if that was not clear.

I'll give that a shot. I was preparing this project ahead of time with some Q and A on the forum for thoughts or improvements on this.

Any feedback is welcomed,

Thanks!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels