Lower bandwidth behind a MX67

NiklasW
Conversationalist

Lower bandwidth behind a MX67

Our ISP provides us a fiber 500/500 connection. 

When I connect my laptop directly to the ISP's Router I get the full 500Mbit/s Down and Up.

When connected to the MX via 2 switches (MX (Copper)<-> MS120-24 (Fiber)<-> MS120-24) I get around 180-250Mbit/s Down and ~300Mbit/s Up instead of the full 500/500 - or at least 400Mbit/s which seems to be the max. for the MX67. 

In the traffic shaping rules, I have set the WAN 1 & 2 speed to each 700Mbps. 

Primary Uplink is the ISPs Router. 

There is no bandwidth limit enabled.

The network uses no VPN. 

I also tried disabling "Intrusion detection and prevention" aswell as "AMP". 

Both had no impact on performance.

Currently running 18.210 Firmware. 

Speedtest.net used for the tests.

Any ideas? 

8 Replies 8
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Upgrade to the latest 18.2 release and also check if there is some bandwidth limitation configured.

NiklasW
Conversationalist

Alright, will be trying that later 😊

But as mentioned before - I have no limitations configured. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you have security features enabled, Throughput will be reduced to a maximum of 400 Mbps.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
D_Tak
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you have the ability and can plug directly into the MX do you see the same behavior? When doing this if you can remove all other LAN connections and if you have any default routing over a VPN please disable it for the testing. If the issue persists I would recommend opening a support case to have a Meraki Engineer look into the behavior. 

NiklasW
Conversationalist

Oh - by that test I found another bottleneck in the system - the integrated USB-C docks in our monitors.... 🤣

Jumped to 330Mbit/s. But not yet the full 400 which should be available.

The network I'm testing from is not a VPN network.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Same problem for me.  My monitor's integrated dock has a Gigabit port - but I can only get around 100Mb/s of throughput out of it (it varies up and down).  My WiFi connection is faster than my wired connection!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Whatever method you used for testing the "raw" ISP connection - use the same method to test while plugged directly into the MX.

If the performance is still not as expected - try giving the MX a reboot.  I have had the performance drop after doing lots of changes and a reboot usually sorts it.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also check that the MX WAN port is reporting that it is connected to the ISP device at Gigabit full duplex (or whatever your ISP device needs).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels