Low throughput between Meraki MX84's

chorton
Conversationalist

Low throughput between Meraki MX84's

We have 2 offices located about a mile apart. 

We just increased the speed from Cox to 500 mbps upload and download to match what the other building already has.

I get the full 500mbps at both buildings when I test speed.

If I transfer a file between buildings I can only get 23mbps?

We don't use the advanced security features but do use the VPN.  I was under the impression we should be able to get 300mbps vpn throughput.  

Am I missing something about the way this all works, or does it seem like something is not right?

Is my thinking completely wrong? 

7 Replies 7
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using the Auto-VPN / SD-WAN feature to connect the two sites?

Can you run a direct network test between machines at each site using something like LAN speed test?

chorton
Conversationalist

This is test from pc in one building to pc in the other building.This is test from pc in one building to pc in the other building.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You definitely should get better than that.  I have an MX65 at home and it AutoVPNs into an MX250 in the datacentre.  The connections at each end are 500/500 and I get more than 85Mbps real throughput in both directions on file transfers etc.

chorton
Conversationalist

Yes both these buildings are using the autovpn.  I was doing the testing with iperf3.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You might need to lower the max frame size, perhaps there is something in between with a lower value that is causing larger packets to get fragmented (file transfers etc.)

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you running the stable firmware release or better?  There were a bunch of recent bug fixes around fragmentation and AutoVPN.

both are on.

Current version: MX 18.105

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels