Licensing "issue"

suneq
Getting noticed

Licensing "issue"

Hi guys,

I just claimed devices for a client a few days ago with the order number they provided (Organization > Configure > Inventory > Claim).

The client is happy until they found out that the license started a month ago.

suneq_1-1623678060125.png

I explained to them that licenses in the co-termination model start consuming time from the date purchased and not the date they are added to an Organization.

The client is still unhappy because they will actually start installing the MXs gradually and don't want to waste months

of their licenses. They wonder if per-device license can help in this case.

I learned from the https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Per-Device_Licensing_Overvi... that the expiration date will not change when converting from co-termination to per-device model.

Could you please advise? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @suneq , This sentence in that document states it all "Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing."

You could reach out to the customers Meraki AM to see if they can assist on the licence front.  They're often very helpful.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
suneq
Getting noticed

Hi UCcert,

Thanks for your reply. For my understanding, do you know if there is a way to convert the license (from co-termination to per-device) before claiming the devices?

Thanks.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I do not think that anything can be done here for now. But for future installations new devices with licenses could be bought "just in time" to avoid "lost time". The question is if "just in time" works in a time where delivery-times are always changing.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @suneq , there may be something you could try here.  On their licence page...that little red box.  Click that, it'll remove the licence.  Then convert the customer to PDL.  Then apply the new licence.

Be careful however, once you convert to PDL there is no going back.

UCcert_0-1623682557886.png

Thoughts @KarstenI ?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I do not think that it will work. PDL or not, the licenses have to be added before they can be assigned to the individual devices. And I would expect that when the license is re-added, it will again have the old starting-point.

suneq
Getting noticed

Hi @KarstenI 

Thanks for your advice.

Just to be sure that I understand well, we will always receive our licenses in co-termination model, there is no way to convert it to per-device model BEFORE we claim the licences in the Dashboard? Is it correct?

Thanks. 

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Licences are neither co-term, nor PDL, in themselves;   a license can be added to either type of Organization.

Typically, for rollouts into co-term Orgs, which happen over a period of time, any delays between order and usage can be accounted for within the solution pricing;  that's why it's important to plan migrations effectively and communicate these with the Cisco Meraki team, prior to placing orders.   Remember that Meraki Zero Touch Provisioning, maybe coupled with Templates or API-based automation, can also make your rollouts extremely rapid!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels