Leverage EdgeRouter for IKEv2

BBFred
Here to help

Leverage EdgeRouter for IKEv2

Does somebody have experience with using another VPN device behind (or in front?) of an MX device (in my situation an MX-84)? I've given up on trying to get IKEv1 working with Azure, and instead of buying a very expensive license for a vMX I thought buying two EdgeRouters for ~300 euros a piece and placing them in both locations we have could be a more productive solution (also because I'm very opposed to using the vMX since its an extremely overpriced solution for a protocol that should've been implemented a long time ago).

So what I want to do is use something like an EdgeRouter to set up the VPN connection with Azure but use all the other functionalities of the MX's. Could somebody point me in the right direction if this is possible?

8 REPLIES 8
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Since returning from my time away (hospital not prison) I no longer have the time to develop my networks further, but would, if Meraki brought the MX range into the 21st Century. It is way past time that Meraki ceased addressing the problems of the last century, and squared up to the problems of the current century, which are well understood and do not need repeating.

Out of curiosity, I checked on the price of UBNT's ER-8-XG in the UK - GBP 1,185-

(quote) - Powered by a 16-core, 1.8 GHz processor with 16 GB DDR4 RAM, the EdgeRouter Infinity features eight 10G SFP+ ports and a Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port for routing.

At these prices can the MX range stand the price premium? One can do a lot with 8 x 10G SFP+ ports. They are easily programmed and could handle all the IKE stuff as a stand alone system.

At the moment I see Meraki slipping further behind rather than forging ahead. Which makes me sad.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
sahintd
Just browsing

I too am interested in this. I have 2 x ERPro-8 and their IPSEC performance seems pretty poor, this was also running back to back. I couldn't even get line rate normally. I tried various options including different combinations of offload.

Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

@sahintd wrote:

I too am interested in this. I have 2 x ERPro-8 and their IPSEC performance seems pretty poor, this was also running back to back. I couldn't even get line rate normally. I tried various options including different combinations of offload.

Try turning off everything you don't need, particularly stuff like DPI. It is easy to swamp these devices.

@sahintd wrote:

cyberflix kodi apk mobdro

Turning off all the other thing. It's helpful what @Uberseehandel said..

It is showing the error. I have tried on 2 different routers and their configuration but still didn't work out. Cyberflix apk.

@mikeshean11 wrote:

It is showing the error. I have tried on 2 different routers and their configuration but still didn't work out. Cyberflix apk.

You have provided Zero useful information, so your chances of getting a useful response to your post are slight.

It is as likely to be an Android issue as a Meraki MX issue.

spiceagent111
New here

The more I read about (and work with) Meraki, the less I like them. For the money...what a joke.

AlexP
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm curious, why were you trying to use IKEv1 instead of IKEv2?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels