Latency

NA_CCIE
Here to help

Latency

Hello Community

How can explain please what is the diffrence between 50% latency and 90% latency?

7 REPLIES 7
Network-dad
A model citizen

40%....lol Latency in regards to what?

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad

Between  MX and his remote peer

The Latency graph shows the latency in a 50th Percentile, 90th Percentile, or a Histogram View. In the Histogram view, hovering over a box will give you details for that time period. The 50% option shows the median round-trip time for pings used to monitor the site-to-site VPN connection. The 90% option will show you the results of the top 10% of pings.

Typically, use the 50% option to view the average, the 90% option to view spikes in latency over the time period, and the histogram view to get detailed data for a specific time within the time period. When there are network problems (like poor voice quality) that can be related to latency, the 90% or histogram views will help troubleshoot whether those events correlate to VPN latency issues. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/VPN_Status_Page

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2

I dis read what you wrote in the Meraki documentation, but I did not got it 😁

If you can explain it to me differently, it gonna be great

Thank you 🙂

Top 10% may be confusing here. It's the 10% highest, i.e. worst latencies. You can also look at it like this: how high do I need to set the latency bar to catch 90% of the results. 90% of the actual latencies will be at or better than the value shown in that 90% graph. 50% of the actual latencies will be at or better than the value shown in that 50% graph.

It therefore also makes sense that the value shown for 90th will be a worse latency i.e. a higher value than the 50th percentile.

Agreed @Network-dad ?

Yes @BrechtSchamp  thank you for breaking that down more!

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2

Thank you!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels