Intermittent Network issues on 10GB Primary Link to MX450 Appliance

Rodd
Conversationalist

Intermittent Network issues on 10GB Primary Link to MX450 Appliance

Hello,

I'm experiencing a peculiar issue on one of my networks and am running out of ideas.

We have a 10GB primary link connected to an MX450 appliance. It functions correctly 99% of the time, but 2-3 times a week, usually during peak traffic, the connection stalls. It doesn't stop entirely; I can still run speed tests and observe a significant drop in uplink traffic on the Meraki dashboard for a minute or two before it jumps back up and resumes normal operation. During these instances, speed tests show a drastic reduction to kbps speeds on both ethernet and wireless connections.

This issue only occurs when connected to the 10GB primary link. The backup WAN has been in use for over a month without any problems.

Although the disruption is brief, it's highly disruptive as calls drop and most of our services are web-based.

Here's what we've tried so far:

The ISP performed a fibre light test, which checked out fine.
Verified uptime on all Meraki devices, which also checked out fine.
Replaced the fibre cable and SFP adapters between the MX and ASR (tried both single-mode and multimode fibre with Meraki Gbics).
Set link negotiation settings on the MX and ASR to 1/10GB auto.

Set up pings to:
Firewall LAN Address
Firewall WAN address
Router WAN address
ISP edge port
Known address on the same ISP
GoogleNone of these pings showed any packet loss during the issue.

The router is a Cisco ASR920.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
R.

6 Replies 6
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the IDS restarting?

What firmware version are you running?

Rodd
Conversationalist

Firmware version is: MX 18.107.2

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also can you try a DAC cable instead of transceivers and a fibre?

Rodd
Conversationalist

thank you for the suggestion, IDS looks good, I will try swapping the fibre to a DAC cable today.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Rodd, did the DAC make any difference?

Rodd
Conversationalist

Hi @cmr, thank you so much for checking in.

We have some critical meetings this week so I've been using Wan2 for now, but I have redirected some of the traffic to Wan1 so I can stress test it before making the switch, so far so good! I will keep you posted,

thanks,
R.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels