IPv6 and Spectrum Enterprise

BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

IPv6 and Spectrum Enterprise

Has anyone got IPv6 to work on the MX series using Spectrum (legacy Charter) Enterprise? Set is as follows:

• Spectrum assigns /127. First IP is gateway, second IP is "IP Address" in WAN setup
  • Spectrum assigns /48 to be routed. Created /48 as assigned by Spectrum in IPv6 prefixes tab. Assigned it to WAN 1 as origin.
  • Assigned test VLAN /64.

The MX shows that it is connected on the IP assigned in step 1. Devices in test VLAN get appropriate /64 setup. However, no IPv6 traffic will route. /127 gateway pings externally, but the next number assigned (the MX) does not. Spectrum support states that their edge equipment is not receiving a router advertisement from the MX.

At first, they also said it wasn't passing the IPv6 link local traffic, but both my and their pcaps showed otherwise. Now it's the RA they say is not being passed.

I'm annoyed to the point where I may just grab a generic small router and temporarily hook it up to see if is on Charter's side or our side. Anyone else ran in to this issue?

BHC Resorts IT Department
3 REPLIES 3
DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

@BHC_RESORTS 

Did you manually create the /48, or set the VLANS to auto when setting up the VLANS under Security & SD-WAN -> Addressing & VLANs?

I have IPV6 under Spectrum consumer, where they give me a /56.  I set my VLANs to Auto and IPV6 is working correctly.

- Dave

Dave Anderson

Manually created the /48. Spectrum consumer uses DHCPv6 to assign the addresses, Spectrum Enterprise does not. From Spectrum's packet captures on their side of the Cisco ME and from our side on the MX, we can see that the ME is broadcasting it's RA, and the MX is doing a router solicitation, but the MX never replies to the RA from the Cisco ME. Meraki support is still looking at it...weeks later.

BHC Resorts IT Department
DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

Check which flags are set in the RA,  I recall that there were some issues with Charter during the Beta.

Here is a potentially useful discussion of the RA Flags

https://blog.ipspace.net/2012/11/ipv6-router-advertisements-deep-dive.html

-Dave

Dave Anderson
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels