IP conflict - Source IP and/or VLAN mismatch on MX64

Solved
NickKova
Getting noticed

IP conflict - Source IP and/or VLAN mismatch on MX64

Hello,

Have bunch of events logged in MX64 event log, for 2 different devices, reachable over network with each having proper DHCP IP from default VLAN and pingable.  

m.jpg

Have one default VLAN 192.168.16.0/24 and Guest VLAN192.168.9.0/24. 

Can anyone elaborate on this, perhaps, what could be the cause for those events? I would really appreciate.

1 Accepted Solution
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Then it is probably just that they were a bit slow to get an address and some data was sent from the 169 address.  I'd just ignore it unless it comes up all the time.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

2 devices from the same vendor ?

Were you able to take packet captures during the event ?

Client had the IP 169.254.xx.xx and was trying to source trafic on vlan 1 but your vlan 1 is probably not on subnet 169.254.xx.xx that's why.

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Correct. You have a device within that Alan that is using an APIPA address (possibly because it hasn't received an IP via DHCP). As the MX doesn't have an address within this range, you're receiving these messages.

Thank you guys, for your time and response. Thing is I am not sure how those devices can have APIPA address when DHCP from Meraki is working without issues. I have Unifi switch and all ports are configured with default profile targeting default VLAN with proper DHCP. That is what I do not get how is that possible. 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It could be any cause, any chance of having a device with a fixed IP connected to a switch port that is on the incorrect VLAN?

It is not possible to reach a conclusion with the details you provided alone.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do the MAC addresses listed also receive IP addresses from the DHCP server?

NickKova
Getting noticed

Yes, those 2 devices have proper default VLAN IPs assigned, and they are online, no issues with them. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Then it is probably just that they were a bit slow to get an address and some data was sent from the 169 address.  I'd just ignore it unless it comes up all the time.

NickKova
Getting noticed

Ok, sounds good. Than you! 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels