How to Alert when MX68 Is dropping to 100Mbps on Internet port?

DanielOdievich
Here to help

How to Alert when MX68 Is dropping to 100Mbps on Internet port?

Hi everyone,

I am on CenturyLink gigabit fiber with Zyxel C3000Z providing connectivity. I have it connected to Internet Port 1 on my MX68. Typically it negotiates 1Gbps but sometimes - I still don't know why - something burps and the uplink negotiates to 100Mbps speed. Pulling the network cable, waiting for a bit and reconnecting fixes this, and so does the more heavy power-cycling.

MX68 internet port.png

Is there a way to configure some alert to tell me when this port is negotiated to 100Mbps?

Thank you,

Daniel

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't think so.

Tried a new cable?

I have tried several small patch cables, they are about 15cm in length. My old modem just is flaky a bit. hmm...

Tried 2 different short patch cables. Same results.

Then tried with the brand new, never been used cable that was just sent to me with new Cisco VoIP cable. That one negotiated to 1Gbps. Finally. I'll keep watching the darn thing and see what happens.

Wish there was some way to get diagnostics on the negotiation from either of the devices, Zyxel modem or Meraki appliance.

DanielOdievich
Here to help

Ha!

Wanted to close the thread here. After talking to person more knowledgeable than me and hearing "why isn't your Zyxel modem not in bridge mode", I researched it and realized that I don't actually need it anyway!.

When I was trying to get MX68 to connect directly via PPPoE I didn't specify the VLAN tag of 201. This time I carefully looked at what Zyxel settings were, then connected MX68 it to the ONT device and replicated them one for one. It took seconds to connect and now I have one less device in my home network.

Whoo hoo!

Thanks everyone,

Daniel 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels