cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Block WhatsApp

SOLVED
Here to help

How To Block WhatsApp

I've got someone asking me to block the App WhatsApp at their office. Anyone run into this or have any suggestions on how to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kind of a big deal

Re: How To Block WhatsApp

See previous discussion here: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Blocking-WhatsApp-Traffic-Using-MX84/m-p/12796

The search box at the top is very handy. 😄

MRCUR | CMNO #12
5 REPLIES 5
Kind of a big deal

See previous discussion here: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/Blocking-WhatsApp-Traffic-Using-MX84/m-p/12796

The search box at the top is very handy. 😄

MRCUR | CMNO #12
Comes here often

There is no solution though, on either posts. Still they mark it as solved.

Conversationalist

Hello,

I have blocked WhatsApp on firewall Layer 7 port 5222.  I included on Security &Sdwan > configure: Firewall > Port: 5222. For now, the rule block WhatsApp is working well.

This rule created on MX64.

I hope helpfull

Renato Guerino

Rule L7 Meraki - Whatsapp.jpgRule Whatsapp

Conversationalist

Hello,

I have blocked WhatsApp on firewall Layer 7 port 5222.  I included on Security &Sdwan > configure: Firewall > Port: 5222. For now, the rule block WhatsApp is working well.

I hope helpfull

Renato Guerino

Comes here often

Port 5222 is not only for Whatsapp, it is used by many other applications such as Jabber, google chat, etc. And hence it will block much more. Not the correct way of achieving the goal.

@Guerino wrote:

Hello,

I hope helpfull

Renato Guerino

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.