Helper IP

SOLVED
trunolimit
Building a reputation

Helper IP

There are several instences where devices need to find each other across subnets. Cisco IOS has a feature called helper IP that can facilitate this. Does meraki have anything simila

Basically I have a Sonos system on one subnet and I would like to give people on the guest network access to the sonos system. Sonos can't comunicate with anything outside it's broadcast domain. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

If the DHCP resides on the MX you can do DHCP options which is sort of IP-Helper equivalent.

However, if your guest network is cut-off/isolated then you will need to do some whitelisting for devices on guest network to communicate with other VLANs.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

If the DHCP resides on the MX you can do DHCP options which is sort of IP-Helper equivalent.

However, if your guest network is cut-off/isolated then you will need to do some whitelisting for devices on guest network to communicate with other VLANs.
TwitterLinkedIn
trunolimit
Building a reputation

I need to forward all sorts of broadcasts. not just DHCP requests. Will white listing forwards broadcasts from the sonos?

Broadcast won't traverse different subnets. I'm not familiar with SONOS but do they support any sort of multicast features? The IP Helper option that you referring to, the only thing on the Meraki side that I can think of resides under the DHCP options.
TwitterLinkedIn
trunolimit
Building a reputation

I always thought IP helper was a general broadast forwarding protocol but its strickly for DHCP. Sonos just doesn't support control outside of its broadcast Domain. I was on the phone with a really awsome support guy who looked at the packet captures from my phone trying to connect to sonos. They are using a proprietary protocol that resembles UPnP and a combination of broadcast and multicast traffic. 

Sonos is just the worng product for what this client wants to do.

Can you describe how you solved this with DHCP Options?

trunolimit
Building a reputation

Unfortunately I never did. My understanding of IP helper was wrong. IP helper only facilitates DHCP across subnets.

unfortunately Sonos just doesn’t work across subnets.

what you can do is set up a guest SSID but use firewall rules to stop anyone from accessing any resource other than the Sonos. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels