Has anyone used a vMX100?

MerakiJockey505
Building a reputation

Has anyone used a vMX100?

We don't particularly have any use for the vMX100 in our organization environment currently, however, these look pretty nifty for a virtualized portable sandbox dev environment.  Does anyone have any experience with the virtual devices in conjunction with Amazon's EC2?

15 REPLIES 15
bholmes12
Getting noticed

I haven't but I'm waiting from them to release the vMX100 in the Azure cloud.

Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

We haven't had a use for it quite yet tho we were considering it for DR at one point. If they offered higher tier virtual appliances, I think I may have a possible use for it.
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Dave
Getting noticed

Yes, we have two MX100's in a HA pair. We seem to have a couple times a night where flip-floplop who is primary then flip back again. I have never been able to nail down the reason. The whole thing happens under a minute. I suspect it could just be a latency blip that causes the failover. They are some pretty sweet firewalls.

We don't use anything with Amazon's services though.

HI Dave, 

Did you solve this issue.   We are also planning to implement HA pair.  Please suggest how to proceed further.

Fady
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Deba

What is your issue with the vMX100?

@Deba wrote:

HI, 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/vMX100-two-issues-with-essaydune-pair/td-p/47416

Did you solve this issue.   We are also planning to implement HA pair.  Please suggest how to proceed further.

Hello,

I've been also looking for the tutorial on the active HA deployment of a redundant pair of Cisco Meraki vMX100s. Found a couple of YouTube videos too. In case you still need it, here's how to Deploy Meraki HA vMX100 in Amazon AWS:

Mr_IT_Guy
A model citizen

Sooo I've gotten the go ahead to work on putting a virtual PBX behind a vMX100. Will update this thread with how it goes!

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Awesome, would love to see how these operate in production with PBX

bhorvitz
Conversationalist

Just installed my first one on Friday.  Building the appliance and getting it talking to the dashboard was a piece of cake.  Had a couple of missteps which I think were my fault.  Next one will probably take about 10 minutes.

We haven't cut over routing yet, as I'm waiting for my customer to come up with a suitable window for a little downtime.  It will be nice to see SD-WAN doing its thing since they have MX and dual ISP at HQ.  Looks exactly as promised so far, though.

Eric_Anderson
New here

Yes, we are currently using a vMX in AWS.  The deployment was very simple and straightforward.  Post deployment, the biggest thing is the routing in AWS to get traffic from your subnets in AWS to the vMX so they can traverse the Meraki VPN to your other sites.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Just be aware that the vMX isn't a full MX appliance virtualised. It's capability is designed for access into the AWS cloud through a head-end VPN termination point. Thus the feature set is heavily focused on VPN and SD-WAN - the firewall functionality isn't there.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We've used them in Amazon AWS for AutoVPN / SD-WAN.  They work great.

Fady
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I have created a short video to show how to setup vMX on AWS. Please check the below link if you are interested to know more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eG-Gye-JEo

vMX in AWS is mainly designed to work as VPN concentrator so you can use Site-to-Site VPN feature to connect to your resources in AWS.

robby_barnes
Getting noticed

We have been using one for a few months now (much of the time while it was still in beta).  It has been really awesome for us.  We have about 1500 retail stores, and moved that to be our VPN hub so that AWS resources can VPN to all of our stores.  It has been a huge game changer for our organization.

We are also using it as our primary VPN between our main office and our AWS infrastructure now, and it has been really awesome for that too.  Much easier to set up than the direct VPN built in to AWS.

StefanAlbrecht
New here

Here's the tutorial I mentioned above: http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/meraki-ha-vmx-amazon-aws.html

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels