HPePrint and MX rules

Geri0n
Here to help

HPePrint and MX rules

Good Evening, 

I am having issues with HPePrint and it coming through our network. Currently we are blocking nearly all traffic that is not integral to our operations, and this new printer we have purchased and installed might be blocked by our rules. 

I understand it might be HPePrint.com 's issue causing this, for whatever reason. We use HPePrint in all of our other locations, and none of them have this issue. Nearly the same MX setups as well. 

I am looking for any assistance and troubleshooting help to figure this out. 
Thank you. 

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What version are you running?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Dashboard says MX 18.107.2

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I had the exact same problem with this version, so to solve it I had to do a version rollback. I suggest you open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
kevinchow
Here to help

You should check the DHCP log and access log on dashboard, and make sure it is display on the client list. 

If it is on the client list, add the device to the allow list.

If you cannot see it, find out the MAC address on the the device and add it to the allow list.

Just to clarify. The printer works, i was able to install and configure it to work within the network. However this one online service does not.

Thank you for the clarification, then I will agree with Brash it must be port issue. 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What firewall ports are open outbound for the printer? A quick Google search indicates some specific ports needing to be opened for HP's web services.

kevinchow
Here to help

One more things you can check is the MX events (IDS alert) in your security center, filter by the MAC or local IP,

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check the network event log for traffic being blocked.

Check the security event log for traffic being blocked.

Start with the printer off, and do a packet capture of port 53.  Turn the printer on and try and print.  Now go and look at the the DNS entries it accessed from the packet capture.  Make sure those are allowed.

MerryAki
Building a reputation

According to the HP Forum: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Archive-Read-Only/What-ports-to-open-on-ADSL-router-for-ePrin...

You should allow (outbound):

5222 (for XMPP protocol)

443 (for HTTPS protocol)

In order to use ePrint. Thus, I would check the logs in order to see what's going on. Maybe you can trace the network traffic using the MX and/or Wireshark 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels