HA MX Configuration without redundant connections

Solved
Layer8Problem
New here

HA MX Configuration without redundant connections

Hello, 

We want to migrate all of our VM workload from the current DC to a COLO which is connected by dark fiber. 

I am concerned about what might happen if our dark fiber connection between the two locations gets cut. 

Here is our current setup:

Layer8Problem_2-1707848223288.png

I looked into the MX warm spare documentation and found this recommendation:

recommended_HA_design

However I'm wondering if it's still possible to configure HA without the cross connections in the middle of this diagram. 

Fairly new to Meraki, thanks in advance for the help.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can, It will work as expected.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

These MX84s are a HA pair? If yes they need to have an active LAN connection(s) for VRRP heartbeats as the doc diagram shows.

If your diagram is representing a MX HA pair and the dark fiber link went away there'd be no HA LAN link remaining and both MXs would assume they're the primary unit. https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair#Dual_Ac...

They are not currently set up as HA pair, each MX is set on it's own network. 

I'm mainly concerned with being able to connect with our COLO environment in the event of a cut to the dark fiber. 

Could I load or copy the configs of the DC MX onto the unused one and use it as a backup? 

I've been warned not to just plug in the unused MX into the network to see what options I have.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, you can, It will work as expected.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With regard to your dark fibre - you will have issues if this single link goes down.  Both MXs will become master.

I would recommend using a pair of links for redundancy and forming them into a LACP channel to make them look like a single link again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels