Group Policies - block all websites except a few allowed websites

ZachCCNA
Conversationalist

Group Policies - block all websites except a few allowed websites

MX64 - client has a specific request that for a few computers at their location, they want the users to only have access to a small list of websites that is related to their work.  I'm thinking using AD Security Group and Group Policies would do the trick but I've never set one up like this.

Currently I have an AD Security Group set up that the computers will  be put in to, and I have a Group Policies set up with a list of websites in the "Allow list" and set to "override".

Looking through the options I'm not seeing how to block all websites as the default, before it would go to the "Allow list URL patterns" override list.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  This just came across my desk today so I have not had any time to test this yet.  I will be going to this client sometime next week to finalize the set up and perform tests.

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In block url list use an *

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I am aware of using *... that's not my question here.  I'm trying to make sure that the group policy will be set to block all websites and then refer to the "allow list" to override the default "block/deny all" rule.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to block an * and allow all URL's what you want on the allowed list.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Ah ok, and I'm thinking to "append" with the block list and then "override" with the allowed list.  That sounds logical to me as long as it goes in that order, checking the block list first then the allowed list.

I'll be giving this a try in the next few days.  I'll update this thread when done.  Thanks

That has not helped.  I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

I've added the computer that I'm testing in, was still able to access websites that should be blocked.  I went as far as trying to had my username (AD account) into the security group, no changes.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks///

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels