Flow Preference fail over logic

TemplePilot707
Just browsing

Flow Preference fail over logic

Hello,

I have two WAN interfaces on my MX80.

I have a question bout flow preference. I have load balancing disabled and WAN1 as the primary, with a flow preference policy defined:

Flow preference:

10.10.10.0/24 use WAN2 for internet connectivity.

Without a Customer performance class defined, if WAN2 dies will traffic from 10.10.10.0/24 automatically start forwarding out of WAN1?

4 Replies 4
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Why not set load balancing enabled with WAN1 as the primary uplink.  Then setup the flow preference you specified for the WAN2 traffic and if WAN2 is down it'll automatically failover to WAN1?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I have no objections to enabling the load balancing.

This will basically give me my desired end state correct? Sorry if I'm phrasing that oddly, your second sentence had a question mark in it so I wasn't sure if you were asking me if I thought your proposed configuration would work.

Yes, Adams proposed solution should do the trick. I do something similar in on some of my networks and it works fine.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Yes that would give you the desired state.  The only thing you'd have to consider is that some traffic could traverse WAN2 so if you have any critical traffic that needs to be on WAN1 then you may need to make flow preferences for those. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels