Firewall host name for rDNS

SOLVED
Lourdes
Getting noticed

Firewall host name for rDNS

Hi everyone, I just want to ask what hostname should I give my internet provider to process rDNS when their public IP is currently being used by our Meraki firewall?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki will automatically register a dynamic hostname with the public IP address it uses to reach the cloud backend. The dynamic hostname can be seen in the left hand column under "Security & SD-WAN" -> "Appliance Status"

If you have purchased a DNS name and would like to use that instead, you can do so.

In terms of reverse DNS, there's no specific requirement for it to be setup for the Meraki firewall to work.

For example, in one of my locations:

- A forward lookup of my Meraki dynamic hostname resolves to my public IP.

- A reverse lookup of my public IP resolves to a hostname registered by my ISP under their domain (not used by me in any way).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki will automatically register a dynamic hostname with the public IP address it uses to reach the cloud backend. The dynamic hostname can be seen in the left hand column under "Security & SD-WAN" -> "Appliance Status"

If you have purchased a DNS name and would like to use that instead, you can do so.

In terms of reverse DNS, there's no specific requirement for it to be setup for the Meraki firewall to work.

For example, in one of my locations:

- A forward lookup of my Meraki dynamic hostname resolves to my public IP.

- A reverse lookup of my public IP resolves to a hostname registered by my ISP under their domain (not used by me in any way).

Lourdes
Getting noticed

Oh! Okay. I see.

Thanks, Brash this is very helpful. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels