Easy way to replace MX65 with MX75

jlindstr
Conversationalist

Easy way to replace MX65 with MX75

Hi,

I'm upgrading my MX65 with an MX75 appliance.

What is the easiest, fast method to set up the MX75 using the same configuration?  I'm only upgrading to improve throughput.

I only have one WAN feed into my network.

Thanks.

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Make a clone of the current network and add the new MX to this new network.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks.. I cloned the network and added the MX75.  I have a new network name now.  

Is it as simple as just switching out the MX65 with the MX75 and replug cables?  Seems like all the downstream devices would then transfer over.  The new network would then be active.

Am I over simplifying it?

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The downstream devices will remain in the old network unless manually migrated.

What I would do is bring the MX75 up and running in the cloned network (whilst keeping the MX65 online) so it grabs config, firmware etc.

Then in a maintenance window:

• Unplug connections from the MX65 and MX75
  • Remove the MX65 from the original network
  • Move the MX75 from the cloned network to the original network
  • Plug in the connections to the MX75

Disclaimer: Despite being logical, I've never actually tested these steps.

jlindstr
Conversationalist

I follow your steps..  When you say "Move the MX75 from the cloned network to the original network", I'm not sure where I make that move in the dashboard.

I can remove the MX65 from the Dashboard.  The MX75 is in another network (cloned one).  If I try to add the MX75 from inventory, it's no devices available.

Please advise.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To clarify the low level steps would be:

• Remove mx65 from original network
  • Remove mx75 from cloned network
  • Add mx75 to original network

For some additional context, the above steps roughly follow the method outlined in the Meraki doco, with some minor changes (essentially a hybrid of the 2 methods).

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...

The overall logic is that the initial check-in, firmware upgrade and config pull take the most time (sometimes upwards of 30 mins). By pre-staging this (using the cloned network) it should speed up the overall process.

In the weeds a bit, but one other factor to think about is order of operations when moving the mx75 back to the original network. If the WAN IP is statically set and is different between the staging (cloned) network and the original one, you'll need to ensure it has a valid internet connection when moving it back to the original network, and/or manually configure the IP via local status page so that it can connect out and grab the updated config.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

^

| This.

|

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels