Dynamic routing support

peto
Getting noticed

Dynamic routing support

Hi,

I have the CMNA gear (MX67 - deployment setting is set to routed). I would like to configure dynamic routing protocol between MX and Mikrotik (LAN side). I thought this is supported but I am starting to realise that it is not. Am I correct, or am I missing something because I cannot see the OSPF configuration anywhere.

thank you

9 REPLIES 9
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Correct, MX can leverage OSPF to advertise remote VPN subnets only: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Using_OSPF_to_Advertise_Remote_VPN_Subnets

"Note: Please note that the MX will only advertise Meraki Auto VPN routes (including static routes shared into Auto VPN) with OSPF. The MX will need static routes configured for any other local subnets."

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

And only works with VLANs disable( in routed mode)  or in "Passthrough or VPN Concentrator"

peto
Getting noticed

ok, just to make sure. VLANs disabled means that I have to select Single VLAN instead of VLANs, right?

thank you

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@peto yes, that is correct.

peto
Getting noticed

OK, and how about design with many branches and every branch has few devices using different VLANs (PC, VoIP, IP Cam, etc). MX67w would be enough to connect the devices. So my understanding is that if I want VLANs on branches I would need to configure static routing in order to route traffic across the VPN and every branch added later would require to configure static routes everywhere. If I don't care about VLANs then I am fine regarding routing. Correct? (I work with routers, etc. and these things work there and I am trying to find differences in case someone asks me about suggested design 🙂 )

thank you

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No worries: AutoVPN will take care of that for you.

peto
Getting noticed

ok, great. So I don't need OSPF for this design? Then I am fine with it.thank you

peto
Getting noticed

Ok, so pretty useless for LAN routing. And how about bgp? Is it the same? 
thank you

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, it's also only used for AutoVPN: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/BGP

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels